Health boost for cycle challenge Sydney Russell students
- Credit: Archant
Schoolchildren and staff at Sydney Russell School cycled 852 kilometres - the equivalent of going to Glastonbury and back twice - on an exercise bike to encourage healthy living.
The school’s five houses, Pegasus, Dragon, Centaur, Griffin and Phoenix, all had cyclists peddling like crazy for five and a half hours as each house tried to cover the distance from school to the home of Britain’s most famous festival.
Exercise bikes were brought over to the borough’s only “outstanding” secondary school in Parsloes Avenue, Dagenham, by Better Gym based at the Barking Sporthouse and Gym, last Thursday.
Principal Ms Janis Davis said: “It was a great event that got the whole school buzzing.”
Exhausted Sarahana Chemjong, Year 11 student and Griffin house captain, said: “I might even take up cycling for real!”
You may also want to watch:
No houses made the distance alone but top of the league was Pegasus who managed to peddle 178km, just 37km short of the target. Their reward was 100 precious house points with other houses also scoring.
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 3 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 4 'Stunning mural celebrating Barking history is complete
- 5 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Dagenham on the way back up after FA Cup comeback
- 10 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home