‘Inspirational’ Dagenham teacher honoured by Oxford University
- Credit: Archant
A sixth form teacher has been recognised as one of the country’s most inspiring after helping a student land a place at Oxford University.
John Course, 38, head of sixth form at Robert Clack School in Dagenham, was named as one of 10 inspirational teachers from across the UK by the university on Friday.
He was nominated by former student Fisayo Noibi, who is now studying French and Arabic at Somerville College, after he helped her pick out a course and overcome the difficult application process.
“He is more than deserving of this award because, if not for him, I would not be doing my current course, let alone in this university,” she said.
“Mr Course is such an inspiration.”
The 38-year-old teacher at the Gosfield Road school was humbled by the recognition.
“I am deeply touched by what Fisayo wrote about me in her nomination,” he said.
- 1 Barking Market extended to 'ease antisocial behaviour'
- 2 Dagenham mum says council is 'neglecting daughters' health'
- 3 Dagenham pub to host inaugural local Christmas fair
- 4 Thousands watch Barking Christmas lights switch-on
- 5 Plans to cut up to 600 Tube station jobs amid TfL 'funding crisis'
- 6 'Devastated' friends need £36k to help mum with bowel cancer
- 7 Festive events and family days out in east London this weekend
- 8 Student nurse charged with alleged rape
- 9 'It's the right time': Dame Margaret Hodge on not seeking re-election
- 10 Councillors visit Ben Kinsella Trust anti-knife crime exhibition
“When students say thank you it truly makes the job worthwhile.”