‘Inspirational’ Dagenham teacher honoured by Oxford University
- Credit: Archant
A sixth form teacher has been recognised as one of the country’s most inspiring after helping a student land a place at Oxford University.
John Course, 38, head of sixth form at Robert Clack School in Dagenham, was named as one of 10 inspirational teachers from across the UK by the university on Friday.
He was nominated by former student Fisayo Noibi, who is now studying French and Arabic at Somerville College, after he helped her pick out a course and overcome the difficult application process.
“He is more than deserving of this award because, if not for him, I would not be doing my current course, let alone in this university,” she said.
“Mr Course is such an inspiration.”
You may also want to watch:
The 38-year-old teacher at the Gosfield Road school was humbled by the recognition.
“I am deeply touched by what Fisayo wrote about me in her nomination,” he said.
- 1 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham
- 2 Barking fishmongers shut down by council after Covid-19 safety warning
- 3 Call to change 'cash cow' yellow box junction in Marks Gate
- 4 'Terrifying' CCTV footage shows vandals take axes to cars of NHS workers
- 5 Barking and Dagenham pubs and bars reopen for outdoor service
- 6 Jailed: Dagenham man for role in 'brutal' attack on off-duty police officer
- 7 Jailed: ‘Extremely dangerous’ Dagenham man who plotted terrorist attack
- 8 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 9 Becontree Estate designed after Spanish Flu 'helped prevent Covid deaths'
- 10 Light festival sees cyclists brighten up Barking and Dagenham streets
“When students say thank you it truly makes the job worthwhile.”