‘Inspirational’ Dagenham teacher honoured by Oxford University
- Credit: Archant
A sixth form teacher has been recognised as one of the country’s most inspiring after helping a student land a place at Oxford University.
John Course, 38, head of sixth form at Robert Clack School in Dagenham, was named as one of 10 inspirational teachers from across the UK by the university on Friday.
He was nominated by former student Fisayo Noibi, who is now studying French and Arabic at Somerville College, after he helped her pick out a course and overcome the difficult application process.
“He is more than deserving of this award because, if not for him, I would not be doing my current course, let alone in this university,” she said.
“Mr Course is such an inspiration.”
The 38-year-old teacher at the Gosfield Road school was humbled by the recognition.
“I am deeply touched by what Fisayo wrote about me in her nomination,” he said.
- 1 Thousands set to descend on Dagenham for music fest as licence approved
- 2 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 3 Jailed: Burglar who stole equipment worth more than £3k from car repair centre
- 4 More than 300 homes finished at Beam Park as council leader visits
- 5 No injuries after car and van collide in Dagenham Heathway
- 6 Jailed: Dagenham man pressed groin against pregnant woman on Tube train
- 7 Two 'child abduction' arrests after three-year-old girl reported missing
- 8 Man taken to hospital after fight reported on Heathway in Dagenham
- 9 Rainham and Dagenham MP calls for delay to ULEZ expansion
- 10 Jailed: Hornchurch man found with weapons in Dagenham
“When students say thank you it truly makes the job worthwhile.”