Leading volleyball player coaches aspiring pupils going for gold at upcoming youth tournament
A volleyball player hoping to represent Britain at the Olympic Games offered tips and encouragement to pupils set to represent the borough at a capital-wide sports event.
Dami Bakare, voted British Volleyball Player of the Year, visited Eastbury School, Barking, to run an after-hours coaching clinic for Year 9 girls.
The talented pupils will play at this year’s Balfour Beatty London Youth Games qualifiers on May 26 and 27 at the SCORE Centre in Leyton.
Dami, who competes professionally for VC Argex Duvel Puurs in the Belgian League, took part in the Youth Games himself when he was 14.
He said: “It was a lot of fun. I had literally just started in the sport.
You may also want to watch:
“Back then I wasn’t hitting the ball at all well and any sort of defence was weak. But seeing the kids at Eastbury, they are already doing the right things. They are already ahead of where I was at that age.”
One of the pupils, Abigail Fox, 14, said: “I got into volleyball about three years ago. It’s a very competitive game. When you do beat schools that you think you’re not going to beat, it gives you a good buzz.
- 1 Police patrols increase at Dagenham Tube stations
- 2 What is changing when Covid lockdown rules ease on May 17?
- 3 Patrols target antisocial behaviour in Barking town centre
- 4 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 5 Mum of girl with rare genetic condition vows to keep raising awareness
- 6 Chadwell Heath woman fined after not reporting Iron Age coin find
- 7 Man shot in the face in Dagenham
- 8 Liam Gordon ruled out for the season as Dagenham boss McMahon provides injury update
- 9 Barking Riverside homeowners urge developer to cover cost of decking replacements
- 10 Men found with head injuries in Barking bailed by police
“The London Youth Games gives us something to work for and keeps us motivated.”
The volleyball Youth Games finals are at the National Sports Centre, Crystal Palace, on June 30. Dami is a strong contender for the British Olympic team.