Learning Disability Week events in Barking and Dagenham
A host of events to mark Learning Disability Week are planned, from a family sports day to a craft and food bazaar.
The council is running various activities between August 19 and 25 as part of the annual week, which is led by charity Mencap.
On August 21 a family sports day including a range of sports taster sessions, will be held at Jim Peters Stadium (formerly Mayesbrook Athletics Arena) from 11am to 4pm. Barking FC will be on hand to give football lessons and tips.
A bazaar is planned on August 22 between 11am and 2pm at the Maples day centre, in Gascoigne Road, Barking, featuring stalls selling home-made cakes, arts and crafts and pre-loved goods.
Mencap are hosting a community day for young people aged 13 to 25 on August 23 at the Loxford Centre in Ilford Lane. There will be a range of activities including art, drama, sport and DJ workshops from noon to 5pm.
You may also want to watch:
The week’s events will then come to a close with a free pool party in Becontree Heath Leisure Centre in Dagenham, between 7pm and 8pm on August 24. To book a place call calling 020 8227 2954 or 020 8227 2492.
For more information on all the events please visit www.lbbd.gov.uk/ldweek.
- 1 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 2 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 3 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 4 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 7 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 8 Daggers boss McMahon 'very pleased' with Southend United victory
- 9 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 10 'Stunning mural celebrating Barking history is complete