Margaret Hodge supports ‘Girls into Plumbing’ campaign
- Credit: Archant
Margaret Hodge MP is supporting a campaign to encourage girls to pursue a career in plumbing.
The MP attended Girls into Plumbing recruitment event held by Choice Training on Friday to offer young women vocational training.
This year seven girls signed up for the City and Guilds Level 2 Diploma course which Choice Training provides to prepare young people, male and female, for a career in plumbing.
A spokesperson for Choice Training, which is based in Wantz Road, Dagenham, said: “Plumbing was once a male orientated trade but now girls are showing an interest.
“Last year we had a female student who is now working for a large construction company in London.
You may also want to watch:
She added: “Plumbing has always been a good career choice as everybody needs a plumber from time to time and you will never be out of work, either working for yourself or for a company.”
Margaret Hodge MP: “It’s brilliant to see young women taking up courses to train as plumbers.
- 1 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 2 Manager celebrates 25 years working for supermarket
- 3 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 4 Clean up continues after flooding across Barking and Dagenham
- 5 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 6 Man praises community spirit after flood water threatens homes in Dagenham
- 7 A look back at floods which have devastated east London since 2016
- 8 Letter on teachers searching pupils for weapons
- 9 Dog attack hero and diving suit fundraiser in running for awards
- 10 Dagenham MP seeks views on CPZs after 'hundreds raise concerns'
I’m sure lots of people will welcome it. And there’s every reason for them to be as good as the men.
“The Centre is well laid out and has some experienced tutors who have worked in the trade for many years.
“I would encourage anyone, young and old, to contact the Centre if they are interested in pursuing an alternative career.”
For more information visit choicetrainingltd.co.uk.