Mayor of London awards £5m funding to Barking and Dagenham College
- Credit: Barking and Dagenham College
Mayor of London Sadiq Khan has awarded a slice of a £25 million funding pot to Barking and Dagenham College’s new tech centre.
The further education college in Dagenham Road, Dagenham, has received £5m to finish building its Centre for Advanced Technologies building.
The renovation project will see an aging block turned into teaching space for science and technical subjects such as engineering and robotics.
“Industry is changing and needs a workforce trained in new advanced, technological and innovative methods to meet industry’s future needs,” said principal Yvonne Kelly.
“Supported by employers, we are working with key industries to ensure the skills replicate what they are looking for from their future workforce.”
Previous works have seen a public space created on campus, including a library, restaurant, cafe and shops run by students.
Robert Yang, head of Huawei Enterprise UK, a partner in the project, described the funding as “great news”.
- 1 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 2 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 3 Historic fleet of vehicles moving from Dagenham, Ford confirms
- 4 Car park murder: Victim's wife tells trial about the last text he sent her
- 5 Revealed: Cause of Dagenham house fire
- 6 Man run over four times embroiled in row over £40,000, murder trial told
- 7 Ex-soldier launches business to help veterans 'regain their identity'
- 8 Five arrested for drugs offences after dawn raids
- 9 Man in hospital after Dagenham stabbing
- 10 Percentage of unvaccinated hospital staff revealed as mandatory jab deadline looms