Mayor of London awards £5m funding to Barking and Dagenham College
- Credit: Barking and Dagenham College
Mayor of London Sadiq Khan has awarded a slice of a £25 million funding pot to Barking and Dagenham College’s new tech centre.
The further education college in Dagenham Road, Dagenham, has received £5m to finish building its Centre for Advanced Technologies building.
The renovation project will see an aging block turned into teaching space for science and technical subjects such as engineering and robotics.
“Industry is changing and needs a workforce trained in new advanced, technological and innovative methods to meet industry’s future needs,” said principal Yvonne Kelly.
“Supported by employers, we are working with key industries to ensure the skills replicate what they are looking for from their future workforce.”
You may also want to watch:
Previous works have seen a public space created on campus, including a library, restaurant, cafe and shops run by students.
Robert Yang, head of Huawei Enterprise UK, a partner in the project, described the funding as “great news”.
- 1 Barking butcher fined £40k for selling 'poor quality chicken'
- 2 Indian restaurants in Barking and Dagenham, recommended by readers
- 3 Hospitality Day: Barking and Dagenham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 4 Restaurant ordered to pay £5k after 2019 fly-tipping offences
- 5 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 6 'The entire game will mourn him': Tributes to football great Jimmy Greaves
- 7 New CCTV footage in connection with 2017 fatal stabbing of Joshua Bwalya
- 8 Parade through Barking celebrates borough's 'inspirational' youngsters
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Two men stabbed and a third slashed during We Are FSTVL