Mayor of London awards £5m funding to Barking and Dagenham College
- Credit: Barking and Dagenham College
Mayor of London Sadiq Khan has awarded a slice of a £25 million funding pot to Barking and Dagenham College’s new tech centre.
The further education college in Dagenham Road, Dagenham, has received £5m to finish building its Centre for Advanced Technologies building.
The renovation project will see an aging block turned into teaching space for science and technical subjects such as engineering and robotics.
“Industry is changing and needs a workforce trained in new advanced, technological and innovative methods to meet industry’s future needs,” said principal Yvonne Kelly.
“Supported by employers, we are working with key industries to ensure the skills replicate what they are looking for from their future workforce.”
You may also want to watch:
Previous works have seen a public space created on campus, including a library, restaurant, cafe and shops run by students.
Robert Yang, head of Huawei Enterprise UK, a partner in the project, described the funding as “great news”.
- 1 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 3 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 4 Man, 20, found stabbed in Barking
- 5 Man stabbed in front of son, 12, in 'unprovoked, violent' attack in Barking
- 6 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 7 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 8 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 9 Dagenham held to a draw at Stockport as they continue unbeaten run
- 10 Police patrols increase at Dagenham Tube stations