More pupils eating school meals after Dagenham canteen make-over
Uptake of school meals has risen at a Dagenham secondary school following the opening of a new-look cafeteria.
The number of pupils at Dagenham Park Church of England School who eat meals at lunch time has gone up by an average of 6.5 per cent per week since the catering facility was launched in September.
It features bright and colourful decor and offers nationally recognised food brands as well as fixed-price meal deals.
The new cafeteria, which forms part of Dagenham Park’s massive revamp, was designed following consultations with pupils from across the borough, which revealed a demand for a high street-style dining experience.
With the support of several major food brands, including Brakes and Premier Foods, the make-over took place over the summer school holiday.
You may also want to watch:
According to the school, the facilities are popular with the pupils. One, Year 8 student Sadik Choudhury, said: “The choice of meals is great but I think the chicken meals are particularly delicious and full of flavour.”
Barking and Dagenham Mayor, Cllr Tony Ramsay, who recently paid a visit to the school, said: “The dining environment is fresh, attractive and well laid out and the choice of healthy meal deals caters for all tastes.
- 1 Street food market coming to Barking as lockdown continues to ease
- 2 Three arrests after cannabis raids in Dagenham and South Woodford
- 3 PICTURES: People enjoy new 'rule of six' at Barking and Dagenham parks
- 4 Second World War bomb pulled from River Thames in Barking
- 5 Jailed: Burglar who drove on wrong side of road trying to flee police
- 6 Rainbow lights 'signal hope' as part of Barking and Dagenham festival
- 7 Barking and Dagenham pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 8 Column: Dagenham & Redbridge must strive for redemption
- 9 Old boy Cheek downs Daggers
- 10 Hospital worker killed by ex-partner before he committed suicide, court hears
“This is an important development in the way we offer meals to our pupils,” he added.