Most parents happy despite record number of primary school applications
- Credit: Archant
Nine out of ten families in Barking and Dagenham were offered their first choice of primary school yesterday – the highest percentage in the capital.
Despite seeing the highest number of primary applications ever, with 3,694 children set to start school in September, 90.64 per cent were offered their first preference.
The London average for receiving the first preference was 88.11pc.
The borough was also able to offer more than 98pc of families one of the schools on their list, with over 96pc of families applying online.
While there is expected to be around 200 late applicants, there should still be space for pupils arriving in the borough during the school year to have a place as well.
You may also want to watch:
A council spokesman said the high figure was down to a combination of factors, including strong strategic and financial planning, a skilled admissions team and getting buildings completed on time.
Cllr Evelyn Carpenter, cabinet member for education and schools, said: “Starting school is a crucial experience for children and their families.
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 3 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 4 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 5 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 6 'Stunning mural celebrating Barking history is complete
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Paralympic gold medallist inspires Dagenham judo pupils
- 10 Barking woman praises job programme that has helped more than 3,000 people
“We are delighted we have been able to make this as positive as possible for so many children.”
She urged parents who were disappointed to call the admissions team on 020 8215 3004 before deciding on the next step.