Mother and son land hairdressing jobs in same Dagenham street after re-train
A Dagenham mother and son have launched hairdressing careers in the same street after leaving their previous jobs behind and retraining.
Joanne and Rhys Taylor, of Turnage Road, both took part in a 14-week barbering course at Redbridge College and now work in salons on Lodge Avenue, Dagenham.
Joanne, 38, quit her previous job to follow her dream career by enrolling on the course in September.
Her success and enthusiasm soon rubbed off on her 19-year-old son Rhys, who enrolled on the same course soon after. They then landed jobs next door to each other – Joanne at Pinkies Hair, Nails and Beauty and Rhys at Paul the Barber.
Redbridge College is celebrating their achievements as part of Adult Learners’ Week, which runs until Friday.
You may also want to watch:
Rhys said: “I love my lifestyle as a hairdresser. Now, when I get up each day, I don’t feel like I’m going to work – I feel like I’m heading off to do something I enjoy.”
n To find out more about college courses call 020 8548 7110 or visit its summer open day on June 23.
- 1 16-year-old boy stabbed in Dagenham
- 2 Arrest after girl, 14, found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 3 Company fined £3k after supermarket in Dagenham sold booze to minor
- 4 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 5 Primary pupils share Black History Month learning with mayor
- 6 Government 'never gave support' for Beam Park station, minister says
- 7 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 8 Barking and Dagenham to develop planning app in new digital tools pilot
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Urgent call for volunteer stewards at booster jab sites