Mother and son land hairdressing jobs in same Dagenham street after re-train
A Dagenham mother and son have launched hairdressing careers in the same street after leaving their previous jobs behind and retraining.
Joanne and Rhys Taylor, of Turnage Road, both took part in a 14-week barbering course at Redbridge College and now work in salons on Lodge Avenue, Dagenham.
Joanne, 38, quit her previous job to follow her dream career by enrolling on the course in September.
Her success and enthusiasm soon rubbed off on her 19-year-old son Rhys, who enrolled on the same course soon after. They then landed jobs next door to each other – Joanne at Pinkies Hair, Nails and Beauty and Rhys at Paul the Barber.
Redbridge College is celebrating their achievements as part of Adult Learners’ Week, which runs until Friday.
You may also want to watch:
Rhys said: “I love my lifestyle as a hairdresser. Now, when I get up each day, I don’t feel like I’m going to work – I feel like I’m heading off to do something I enjoy.”
n To find out more about college courses call 020 8548 7110 or visit its summer open day on June 23.
- 1 Clean up continues after flooding across Barking and Dagenham
- 2 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 3 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 4 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 5 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 6 Dagenham set to sign youngster Aaron Blair as McQueen to go out on loan
- 7 Deadline looming to comment on proposed constituency changes
- 8 Arts centre in Barking selects artists for Black Art Matters project
- 9 Barking sign three and continue pre season preparations
- 10 Fire Brigade deluged with calls for help as floods sweep east London