Mother and son land hairdressing jobs in same Dagenham street after re-train
A Dagenham mother and son have launched hairdressing careers in the same street after leaving their previous jobs behind and retraining.
Joanne and Rhys Taylor, of Turnage Road, both took part in a 14-week barbering course at Redbridge College and now work in salons on Lodge Avenue, Dagenham.
Joanne, 38, quit her previous job to follow her dream career by enrolling on the course in September.
Her success and enthusiasm soon rubbed off on her 19-year-old son Rhys, who enrolled on the same course soon after. They then landed jobs next door to each other – Joanne at Pinkies Hair, Nails and Beauty and Rhys at Paul the Barber.
Redbridge College is celebrating their achievements as part of Adult Learners’ Week, which runs until Friday.
You may also want to watch:
Rhys said: “I love my lifestyle as a hairdresser. Now, when I get up each day, I don’t feel like I’m going to work – I feel like I’m heading off to do something I enjoy.”
n To find out more about college courses call 020 8548 7110 or visit its summer open day on June 23.
- 1 Jailed: Dagenham man who took part in racist robbery which left man needing facial reconstruction
- 2 Wates Residential wins contract to build 400 homes in Barking
- 3 Community group founder calls for mandatory ethnic pay gap reporting
- 4 Have your say on the future of the Barking and Dagenham Post
- 5 Man fined £700 after throwing away cigarette outside Barking station
- 6 Barking mum: 'Wood falling from truck could have killed me or my kids'
- 7 Meeting ex-banker London mayoral candidate Brian Rose
- 8 Watch the moment Dagenham man attacks police officer with sword
- 9 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 10 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham