Motivational advice at Dagenham Heathway library mixer
- Credit: Archant
Ignoring negativity was among the inspirational advice given to Key Stage 3 pupils at Dagenham Heathway library on Saturday.
The mixer included a talk by motivational speaker Warren Ryan and the library’s youth action team, who spoke about their experiences of peer pressure and bullying.
About 36 year seven to nine pupils attended the event, where they were advised to be positive, focus on their goals and remember that they are unique.
Library volunteer Phinnah Ikeji, who organised the event, admitted that she was even inspired h by the interactive event.
“A lot of the youngsters were really engaged and were asking lots of questions,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
Phinnah, who founded Ten2Teens magazine, organised a similarly successful event for year seven pupils last year.
She now hopes to hold the mixers on a regular basis.
- 1 Street food market coming to Barking as lockdown continues to ease
- 2 Three arrests after cannabis raids in Dagenham and South Woodford
- 3 PICTURES: People enjoy new 'rule of six' at Barking and Dagenham parks
- 4 Second World War bomb pulled from River Thames in Barking
- 5 Jailed: Burglar who drove on wrong side of road trying to flee police
- 6 Barking and Dagenham pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 7 Rainbow lights 'signal hope' as part of Barking and Dagenham festival
- 8 Column: Dagenham & Redbridge must strive for redemption
- 9 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 10 Hospital worker killed by ex-partner before he committed suicide, court hears
“The feedback has been really positive and some people were asking us to do it every week,” she said.
“Hopefully we can make it something bigger because there isn’t a lot of youth activities in the borough and this is something really inspirational which they can listen to and then go back to school and do their best.”
Visit lbbd.gov.uk for more upcoming library events.