Mum wins award for dedication to studies at Barking and Dagenham College
- Credit: Archant
A single mum hoping to become a paramedic has picked up an award for her achievements at college.
Niki Lomas was Highly Commended as part of the OCN (Open College Network) awards, which recognises outstanding students and learning projects across the UK.
The 28-year-old gained an Access to Higher Education Qualification at Barking and Dagenham College, is now on a six month placement in the surgical assessment unit at Queen’s Hospital and plans to carry out a paramedic apprenticeship when this ends.
Sabeena Shah from Barking and Dagenham College, which nominated Niki, said: “From the word go, Niki put 100 per cent into her studies.
“She’s a single parent of two children, which could make it difficult to complete work and fit in study time but Niki was determined to do well.”
You may also want to watch:
Niki, from Rainham, will be receive her award at a ceremony later this month.
- 1 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 2 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 3 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 4 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 5 Work begins on £1.8m arts centre transformation in Barking
- 6 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 7 Man praises community spirit after flood water threatens homes in Dagenham
- 8 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 9 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 10 Clean up continues after flooding across Barking and Dagenham