Newham student quizzes Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales
- Credit: Archant
Wikipedia boss Jimmy Wales gave students the chance to quiz him on running the world’s largest collaborative website last week.
Nikin Kamothi, 20, from Newham, was one of three Barking and Dagenham College students invited to interview the Internet entrepreneur.
For 20 minutes they had free rein to get the lowdown on everything from what the word ‘wiki’ means to how the company makes money.
The students also put their own business ideas past the entrepreneur to see what he reckoned of them.
Adnan Mahmood, entrepreneurial coordinator at the college, said the students were “incredible”.
He said: “Their energy, enthusiasm and willingness to seek out and exploit every opportunity is to be commended.
“They had the opportunity to learn from the best in business, rub shoulders with leading entrepreneurs and develop their networking skills.”
- 1 Dagenham man fined within hours of fly-tipping at bus stop
- 2 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 3 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 4 Police appeal after intruder reportedly enters Barking home and threatens woman with knife
- 5 Dagenham and West Ham accused in court after drugs raids
- 6 Travel bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 7 70 firefighters tackle Dagenham house fire
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 40 firefighters tackle Anchor Close blaze
- 10 Thunderstorms to hit London this evening warns Met Office
Students also heard from from Betfair co-founder Ed Wray at the Q&A session on June 27.