Dramatic aerial footage captures demolition of Barking tower block
- Credit: Be First
Aerial footage has captured the early stages of demolition of tower block St Mary’s in Barking as the second stage of the construction of Greatfields School gets underway.
Barking and Dagenham Council’s urban regeneration company, Be First, commission contractors Squibb Group to clear the way for the £28 million development.
The school will grow from just being a Year 7 and 8 school to being able to accommodate 2,430 pupils across a primary school, a secondary school and a sixth form.
The school is being built in three stages and will eventually cover over 21,500 square metres of the former Gasgoigne Estate, which is being redeveloped to provide hundreds of quality, affordable homes.
Council leader Darren Rodwell said: “Barking and Dagenham has one of the best records of providing school places in London, with three out of four pupils getting their preferred place.
You may also want to watch:
“The building of Greatfields means we will keep up with the pace of an increasing school population.”
- 1 School pupil among Indian Covid variant cases in Barking and Dagenham
- 2 Jailed: Dagenham car burglar after 100mph pursuit in Romford
- 3 Love Island promo filming in Barking 'a great opportunity' for college students
- 4 Barking man charged with sexual assault during crackdown on violence against women
- 5 Barking Indian restaurant owner fined over waste disposal
- 6 Drivers escape injury in Dagenham crash
- 7 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 8 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 9 Man, 20, found stabbed in Barking
- 10 Former east London police sergeant sentenced after pleading guilty to harassment