Olympic star Rebecca Adlington makes splash at Barking school
- Credit: Everyone Active
A Barking schoolgirl has made a splash with her friends by winning a swimming lesson with double Olympic gold medallist Rebecca Adlington.
The sports superstar presented Northbury Primary School pupil Ayishah Ahmed with her winning swim cap design at assembly on Tuesday.
The 10-year-old was one of scores of schoolkids across the country who entered the competition, part of Swim England’s national Big School Swim campaign.
As a reward for her creativity, Ayishah and her classmates received a lesson delivered by the Olympian at Abbey Leisure Centre.
“We received so many exceptional entries to the competition, but Ayishah’s really stood out,” Rebecca said.
You may also want to watch:
“It was so much fun to join her and the other children from Northbury.”
Paramjit Roopra, headteacher at the school in Northbury Close, said: “This is a fantastic opportunity for our pupils to meet such a decorated and inspirational British Olympian.”
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 3 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 4 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 5 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 6 'Stunning mural celebrating Barking history is complete
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Paralympic gold medallist inspires Dagenham judo pupils
- 10 Barking woman praises job programme that has helped more than 3,000 people