Out-of-work law graduates in Barking and Dagenham could win council internship
Out-of-work youngsters with law degrees are being invited to apply to work as graduate interns in the council’s legal team.
The three-month internship programme is a result of the partnership between Barking and Dagenham and Thurrock councils, who now share a much larger legal team with more diverse specialisms.
Budding legal eagles will get the chance to learn hands-on, working as part of a team of 60 lawyers and covering everything from planning to criminal law.
“This is a very welcome development and an obvious benefit of our shared service approach with Thurrock Council,” said Cllr Liam Smith, Barking and Dagenham Council leader.
“It is a really impressive scheme and is something people who have finished their law degree but haven’t yet found work should consider. This is an excellent opportunity.”
You may also want to watch:
Every graduate who began an as an intern at Thurrock Council, which has been running the scheme for six years, has in time gone on to successfully secure full-time employment.
The internship will also provide work experience and a boost to CVs at a time when it is difficult for graduates to get practical experience.
- 1 Street food market coming to Barking as lockdown continues to ease
- 2 Three arrests after cannabis raids in Dagenham and South Woodford
- 3 PICTURES: People enjoy new 'rule of six' at Barking and Dagenham parks
- 4 Second World War bomb pulled from River Thames in Barking
- 5 Column: Dagenham & Redbridge must strive for redemption
- 6 Jailed: Burglar who drove on wrong side of road trying to flee police
- 7 Rainbow lights 'signal hope' as part of Barking and Dagenham festival
- 8 Barking and Dagenham pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 9 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 10 Hospital worker killed by ex-partner before he committed suicide, court hears
Anyone interested in the three-month internship should email Fiona Taylor, joint head of legal services, at firstname.lastname@example.org or David Lawson, joint deputy head of legal services, at email@example.com.