Out-of-work law graduates in Barking and Dagenham could win council internship
Out-of-work youngsters with law degrees are being invited to apply to work as graduate interns in the council’s legal team.
The three-month internship programme is a result of the partnership between Barking and Dagenham and Thurrock councils, who now share a much larger legal team with more diverse specialisms.
Budding legal eagles will get the chance to learn hands-on, working as part of a team of 60 lawyers and covering everything from planning to criminal law.
“This is a very welcome development and an obvious benefit of our shared service approach with Thurrock Council,” said Cllr Liam Smith, Barking and Dagenham Council leader.
“It is a really impressive scheme and is something people who have finished their law degree but haven’t yet found work should consider. This is an excellent opportunity.”
You may also want to watch:
Every graduate who began an as an intern at Thurrock Council, which has been running the scheme for six years, has in time gone on to successfully secure full-time employment.
The internship will also provide work experience and a boost to CVs at a time when it is difficult for graduates to get practical experience.
- 1 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 2 Clean up continues after flooding across Barking and Dagenham
- 3 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 4 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 5 Manager celebrates 25 years working for supermarket
- 6 Dagenham set to sign youngster Aaron Blair as McQueen to go out on loan
- 7 College student selected as national finalist with pearly king photo series
- 8 Deadline looming to comment on proposed constituency changes
- 9 Arts centre in Barking selects artists for Black Art Matters project
- 10 Dagenham 88 Runners returned to parkrun action and tackled ELVIS race
Anyone interested in the three-month internship should email Fiona Taylor, joint head of legal services, at email@example.com or David Lawson, joint deputy head of legal services, at firstname.lastname@example.org.