Second phase of Greatfields School sees work begin on 18 classrooms and science, technology and music rooms
- Credit: Archant
Work has started on an extension to a Barking school which will create places for 540 pupils.
The second phase of Greatfields School in the Gascoigne Estate will see 18 new classrooms built, along with specialist teaching areas for science, design technology and music.
The extension, which will be completed in 2019, will allow Year 10 pupils to join Years Seven to Nine on the new development.
Head of Greatfields, Richard Paul, said: “We are extremely excited that work has commenced on the second phase. As the school grows rapidly, the new phase will give us much needed space and access to high quality science, design and music classrooms.
“These fantastic facilities will benefit our students throughout the school and especially those about to embark upon their GCSE courses.”
You may also want to watch:
The building will be completed in 2020, when there’ll also be a primary school. In total, there’ll be space for 2,400 students from primary to sixth form age.
Councillor Evelyn Carpenter, cabinet member for education, said: “Greatfields School is already a super school, delivering excellent education for local children.
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and Thames by-election
- 2 Man stabbed in front of son, 12, in 'unprovoked, violent' attack in Barking
- 3 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 4 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 5 'Woke rubbish': Losing candidate on stir over 'unspellable' names comment
- 6 Chadwell Heath woman fined after not reporting Iron Age coin find
- 7 Jailed: Man whose drunken knife attack left one dead and woman injured at Dagenham dinner party
- 8 Meet the candidates battling for votes in the Thames ward by-election
- 9 Barking shisha bar was wrongly shut down for Covid breaches, owner claims
- 10 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night
“By the time it is finished Greatfields will be one of the stand out schools in east London, where pupils can spend the whole of their school lives growing and learning together.”