Second phase of Greatfields School sees work begin on 18 classrooms and science, technology and music rooms
- Credit: Archant
Work has started on an extension to a Barking school which will create places for 540 pupils.
The second phase of Greatfields School in the Gascoigne Estate will see 18 new classrooms built, along with specialist teaching areas for science, design technology and music.
The extension, which will be completed in 2019, will allow Year 10 pupils to join Years Seven to Nine on the new development.
Head of Greatfields, Richard Paul, said: “We are extremely excited that work has commenced on the second phase. As the school grows rapidly, the new phase will give us much needed space and access to high quality science, design and music classrooms.
“These fantastic facilities will benefit our students throughout the school and especially those about to embark upon their GCSE courses.”
The building will be completed in 2020, when there’ll also be a primary school. In total, there’ll be space for 2,400 students from primary to sixth form age.
Councillor Evelyn Carpenter, cabinet member for education, said: “Greatfields School is already a super school, delivering excellent education for local children.
- 1 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in east London
- 2 Two arrested after man 'seriously assaulted' in row over parking
- 3 Dispersal order authorised near Barking Park due to antisocial behaviour
- 4 Company fined in court over builder's skips in Dagenham and Chadwell Heath
- 5 Travel bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 6 Boy, 5, dies after 'unexplained' incident off Heathway
- 7 Dagenham man fined within hours of fly-tipping at bus stop
- 8 Dagenham man jailed for 12 years for punching to death Marius Lakavicius
- 9 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 10 Abba Voyage: A spectacular trip into an enchanted world
“By the time it is finished Greatfields will be one of the stand out schools in east London, where pupils can spend the whole of their school lives growing and learning together.”