Pictures: Grease is the word at Dagenham’s Jo Richardson School as pupils put on electrifying show
- Credit: Archant
Grease is the word at a school putting on electrifying performances of the nostalgic high school movie favourite.
A cast of more than 50 Jo Richardson Community School pupils from year seven to 13 make up the cast and crew of young performers bringing Rydell High to the stage.
After three months of intensive rehearsals the show went off like greased lightning over three days before strutting its last step to a packed house on Wednesday, December 18.
Ella Leigh Perry Smith, 14, who plays female lead Sandy Olsen, said: “This was my first musical theatre experience and I loved every minute, the cast was like one big family.”
James Haynes, 15, who plays male lead Danny Zuko, said: “Getting the role of Danny was such a shock. My family had never heard me sing before opening night so it was kind of cool.”
Pupils sang classic hits from the 1950s-era film, originally starring Olvia Newton-John and John Travolta, including Summer Nights, Grease Lightening and Hopelessly Devoted To You.
Catherine Cook, head of Drama, said: “The music, dance and drama departments cannot get over the dedication of all of the students who took part in the production from the cast to the technical crew and the back stage crew.
- 1 40 firefighters tackle Anchor Close blaze
- 2 Dagenham and West Ham accused in court after drugs raids
- 3 Savvy driver saves ducks who had strayed onto the A13
- 4 TfL consultation opens on plans to extend ULEZ into Greater London
- 5 Travel bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 6 How many Covid patients are there in east London hospitals this week?
- 7 Cycling festival coming to Barking
- 8 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 9 Council leader on the borough's future, CPZs and receiving death threats
- 10 70 firefighters tackle Dagenham house fire
“Everything came together for a magical performance.”
• Click below for more pictures.