Rush Green head accused of competing in triathlon on school day
- Credit: Archant
An investigation is under way after a headteacher was accused of competing in an international triathlon event on a school day.
A whistleblower complained to the chairman of governors at Rush Green Primary School and the council and asked them to investigate whether Simon Abeledo’s absence from the school to compete in the event had been authorised.
Photographs posted online by agency Marathon Photos show Mr Abeledo took part in the sprint distance category of the ETU Triathlon championship in Kitzbühel in the Austrian alps on Friday, June 20 – part-way through the summer term.
Both Mr Abeledo and governors at the school in Dagenham Road, Rush Green, declined to comment on the allegations after being approached by the Post.
Records at triathlon.org show Mr Abeledo finished 43rd in the 45-to-49 male category, completing the 750-metre swim, 19.7km bike ride and 4.8km run in one hour, 19 minutes and 26 seconds.
You may also want to watch:
In a statement, a spokesman for Barking and Dagenham Council confirmed the council was aware of allegations made against him.
“The chairman of governors, with support from the local authority, has set up an independent investigation to look into the matter,” she added.
- 1 Barking mum: 'Wood falling from truck could have killed me or my kids'
- 2 Watch the moment Dagenham man attacks police officer with sword
- 3 Barking & Dagenham girls on cloud nine after big opening win
- 4 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 5 Meet the candidates battling for votes in the Thames ward by-election
- 6 Jailed: Dagenham man for role in 'brutal' attack on off-duty police officer
- 7 Charity shops open, Covid rules, park toilets and child exploitation
- 8 Vaisakhi observed with ceremony at Barking Town Hall
- 9 Survey asks women where they feel unsafe in Barking and Dagenham
- 10 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham
Keen athlete Mr Abeledo took part in the Pontevedra ITU Duathlon World Championships in Spain during half term, three weeks before the Kitzbühel event, as well as the Horst ETU Powerman Long Distance and Sprint Duathlon European Champions in the Netherlands during the Easter holidays in April.
He has been head at Rush Green for the past year.
As reported earlier this month, the number of Barking and Dagenham parents who have faced fines or court action for taking their children out of school during term time has jumped almost 50 per cent in the past year.