Snow leads to school closures and commuter chaos in Barking and Dagenham
AN urgent review of UK transport systems was under way today as commuters faced nightmare journeys to work and the big freeze forced dozens of schools to close.
Trains on the c2c network were hit by 30-minute delays and repeated cancellations this morning, while three secondary schools and a record 20 primaries shut in Barking and Dagenham.
Delays were also reported on the District Line running through Barking and Dagenham. Jo Richardson Secondary and Rush Green Infant in Dagenham planned to close after 2pm.
The Government today launched a review of “snow transport” as London remained in the grip of an Arctic blast with reported snowfalls of up to 20cm and temperatures forecast to plummet to – 8 C in the South East tonight.
Barking to Gospel Oak User Line secretary, Richard Pout, said: “It has certainly been erratic. Transport operators are doing their best to run services.
You may also want to watch:
“If there’s minor delays and trains are getting through they’re not doing too badly.”
Transport secretary Philip Hammond said: “There are lessons to be learned from our performance in every bout of bad weather and it is important that we learn those now.
- 1 16-year-old boy stabbed in Dagenham
- 2 Arrest after girl, 14, found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 3 Company fined £3k after supermarket in Dagenham sold booze to minor
- 4 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 5 Dagenham MP Jon Cruddas in 'crisis' warning over local plan
- 6 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 7 Primary pupils share Black History Month learning with mayor
- 8 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 9 Urgent call for volunteer stewards at booster jab sites
- 10 Barking and Dagenham to develop planning app in new digital tools pilot
“I share the frustration of the travelling public and we need to be sure that we are doing everything possible to keep Britain moving.”
* Did you have trouble getting into work? If so, contact our newsdesk on 020 8477 3824.
Schools closed today:
All Saints Secondary, Eastbrook Comprehensive, Warren Comprehensive
Beam Primary, Furze Infant, Godwin Primary, Grafton Infant, Grafton Junior, Henry Green Nursery, Hunters Hall Primary, John Perry Primary, Leys Primary, Marks Gate Infant, Marks Green Primary, Monteagle Primary, Parsloes Primary, St Margaret Primary, St Teresa Primary, St Vicent Primary, Thomas Arnold Primary, Valence Primary, Warren Junior, William Bellamy Infant, William Bellamy Junior