Spanish night at Dagenham school raises £900 for expedition
- Credit: Archant
Senses were alive with Spanish tastes and rhythms at a special fundraising night at Jo Richardson School.
Staff and students raised more than £900 on Friday last week for an upcoming expedition to Nicaragua, and will use the money to refurbish a small rural school in Granada.
More than 180 people were treated to a dinner of paella, tortillas, Spanish chicken and spicy soup – all prepared by staff and students – before dancers entertained the guests with their enthusiasm and vibrant costumes.
A total of 42 students from years nine to 13, and 10 members of staff, will spend 16 nights in the Caribbean as part of their global challenge to help a small community.
“This has been a real team effort and has allowed the team to bond in readiness for our mammoth adventure,” said teacher Kala Boller.
You may also want to watch:
“We offer such expeditions every two years in order for our young people to experience the world of travel and that is something we are very proud of at Jo Richardson.”
- 1 Hospital visitors urged to take Covid lateral flow tests
- 2 The schools in Barking and Dagenham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 4 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 5 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 6 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 7 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 8 Ex-McDonald's crew member in final of national awards honouring those shaping business world
- 9 'Blows on the hand with a strap': The story of Barking's women jute weavers
- 10 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder