Barking student’s plus-sized cupcakes scoop two awards in national competition
- Credit: Archant
A food studies student has been awarded two bronze medals for putting plus-sized women on top of cupcakes.
Claire Flavin-Jones from St. Ann’s, Barking took part in The Food Service Show competition at Birmingham’s National Exhibition Centre with her tutor Kelly MacKenzie from Barking and Dagenham College.
The Salon Culinaire competition is an opportunity for up-and-coming talent to show off their skills to a room full of peers.
The 41-year-old competed against more than 180 competitors from around the country who were all studying or working in catering.
Talented Claire was awarded a bronze for her cheeky bakes and a sculptured piece inspired by the illustrator Sexyfation whose work features plus-sized women.
You may also want to watch:
Her sculpture of the creature ‘Niffler’ from the film Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them also won third prize.
Claire said: “I really enjoyed the opportunity to compete with and meet some of the leading cake makers in the country.
- 1 Drivers escape injury in Dagenham crash
- 2 Eid prayer recited outside Barking Town Hall as groups call for more worship spaces
- 3 Man, 20, found stabbed in Barking
- 4 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 5 'Love Island promo' spotted filming in Barking
- 6 Former east London police sergeant sentenced after pleading guilty to harassment
- 7 Antisocial behaviour patrols in Barking and Dagenham
- 8 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 9 Barking and Dagenham goes two weeks without Covid-19 deaths
- 10 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
“This was only my second ever competition so I was I was thrilled to get two medals.”
As well as studying hard, Claire has her own small business selling bespoke cakes called Bombshell Bake.
Check out her work by visiting bombshellbakes.com or Instagram @BombshellBakesLtd.