Super school planned for Barking and Dagenham
- Credit: Archant
A new super school catering for more than 1,350 children will open in Dagenham next year.
The free school, which means it’s government funded but free to follow its own curriculum, will be housed on the former Goresbrook Leisure Centre site on Ripple Road, and once at full capacity, will cater for 1,355 children aged 3-18.
Barking and Dagenham has one of the most overstretched school systems in the country and by 2016 it’s estimated there will be 20% more pupils in the borough than school places,
The new school, currently called Goresbrook School, will go some way towards tackling this problem and admissions for the initial 90 places are being taken through the council. Initially it will only cater for reception aged children but will build its pupil numbers a year at a time.
United Learning, the charity behind the plans, has launched a public consultation into the proposals.
The consultation runs from December 2 until January 24 and will seek views on the school’s vision and ethos, admissions policy, curriculum, its governance, leadership and management, involvement with the local community and even the school’s name.
Two public meetings are planned with representatives from United Learning on December 2 between 2pm-3.30pm and December 9 between 7pm and 8.30pm. Anyone with an interest is invited to attend at Barking Rugby Football Club, Gale Street, Goresbrook. Darran Lee at United Learning, said: “The school is being opened in response to significant demand in the local community for more high-quality school places. In creating the school, our aim is to provide children in Barking and Dagenham with an exceptional, enjoyable and rewarding education which will give them the best possible start in life.”
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Dagenham house fire
- 2 Fire at Barking recycling centre
- 3 Dagenham woman to face trial on numerous robbery charges
- 4 Baby boy died from 'whiplash' injuries caused by shaking, trial hears
- 5 Boy, 5, dies after 'unexplained' incident off Heathway
- 6 Homes under the Planner: Applications submitted or approved recently
- 7 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 8 Dagenham & Redbridge supporters hoping for final-day glory
- 9 Missing man last seen travelling to Barking topless in muddy shorts
- 10 Two arrested after shooting and stabbing in Barking
United Learning will consider the responses to the consultation before asking the Secretary of State for Education to sign the Funding Agreement for the school.
Email email@example.com for more information.
n Goresbrook Leisure Centre – the site of the new school