Switch on the telly for extra dose of Barking school
- Credit: Archant
How does a school with more than 1,100 young children manage playtime?
That, apparently, is what Channel 5 bosses wondered too – as they’re about to air a series on Barking’s Gascoigne Primary School, the largest in Britain.
The Gascoigne Road school will be on the small screen tomorrow for the first episode of Britain’s Biggest Primary School, filmed over the past two school terms.
Series producer Rob McCabe, of Century Films, said: “Gascoigne is an incredibly inspiring primary school that has to cope with a huge intake of children from a myriad different backgrounds. This is a fascinating insight into how such a huge ship is kept afloat by its army of teachers and staff.”
The series will show how head Bob Garton and the rest of the 160 staff navigate issues like integration, bullying and general primary school mayhem.
You may also want to watch:
It will also touch on the pupils’ own stories, both in and outside the classroom. Mr McCabe added: “The series tells a compelling story of childhood through the eyes of its pupils, the friendships, fallouts and classroom dramas that play such a big part in shaping their young lives.”
Other challenges include overseeing eight mobile classrooms and four playgrounds with different playtime shifts, the steady stream of new arrivals throughout the term and having 90 minutes to feed more than a thousand hungry children. It’s also one of the most ethnically diverse schools in the country with children speaking more than 60 languages at home.
- 1 Three men found stabbed after alleged brawl in Dagenham
- 2 Woman organises do after Covid-19 restrictions force school in Dagenham to cancel prom
- 3 Watch out for these disruptions to your journey by road and rail this week
- 4 Ambulance stations to close and be replaced by single centre, LAS reveals
- 5 Father's Day: Fond memories of Dagenham 'gent' with 'a heart of gold'
- 6 Man wanted in criminal damage investigation
- 7 Dagenham & Redbridge interested in former Leyton Orient full-back Sam Ling
- 8 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 9 Dagenham man banned from keeping animals after starved pony found collapsed
- 10 Barking add forward Georgie Fairhead as assistant Adam Flemming departs