GCSE results: Sydney Russell celebrates bumper crop of top grades
- Credit: Sydney Russell
More students than ever have achieved top grades in this year’s GCSE results at Sydney Russell secondary, according to principal Janis Davies.
The school saw half of students achieve 9 to 5s in both English and maths (equivalent to A* to C).
Ms Davies also applauded pupil Afzal Hussain, who won a scholarship to the prestigious Eton college.
"It's been a fantastic year again for SRS as our results go from strength to strength," said the principal.
"Our students have worked incredibly hard and this is reflected in the results they have achieved across the board, regardless of their starting point.
"We are particularly delighted in the number who have achieved the English Baccalaureate as well as the top grades."
For an EBacc, pupils must pass subjects including English, maths, geography or history, a science and a language.
- 1 Thousands set to descend on Dagenham for music fest as licence approved
- 2 Wanted: Man sought after aggravated burglaries, failing to appear in court
- 3 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 4 Barking and Dagenham gets lowly ranking for 'healthy streets'
- 5 Jailed: Burglar who stole equipment worth more than £3k from car repair centre
- 6 Serving Met officer suspended from duty after stalking charge
- 7 More than 300 homes finished at Beam Park as council leader visits
- 8 No injuries after car and van collide in Dagenham Heathway
- 9 Jailed: Dagenham man pressed groin against pregnant woman on Tube train
- 10 Two 'child abduction' arrests after three-year-old girl reported missing
"More of our students than ever achieved the exceptional grade 9 and there has been a significant increase in the number achieving grades 9 to 5, which means they will have secured a place at our sixth form."