Tommy Walsh joins Barking and Dagenham College construction students for open day
- Credit: Archant
Students showed off their talents, from plumbing to plastering, and received prizes from celebrity builder Tommy Walsh at a college open day.
Inspiration 2013 was held at Barking and Dagenham College yesterday to kick start National Apprentice Week, highlight the number of training opportunities available and showcase the skills of construction trade students.
There were a number of ‘have a go’ activities, student demonstrations, talks by industry leaders, and a series of skills competitions in trades such as plumbing, carpentry, bricklaying and plastering.
Walsh, from BBC’s Groundforce, dropped in to present prizes to the winners.
He said: “It’s been a real honour to be able to come and see so many students who have decided to take up the challenge and get into the construction industry.
You may also want to watch:
“This is a great way to highlight the many career opportunities the industry can provide and judging by the talent I’ve seen today, I’m sure these young adults have fantastic career opportunities ahead of them.”
- 1 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 2 Storage building next to disused Dagenham pub destroyed by fire
- 3 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 4 The schools in Barking and Dagenham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 5 Dagenham man sentenced after flying kick at cop during Black Lives Matter demo
- 6 Hospital visitors urged to take Covid lateral flow tests
- 7 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 8 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 9 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 10 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks