Tommy Walsh joins Barking and Dagenham College construction students for open day
- Credit: Archant
Students showed off their talents, from plumbing to plastering, and received prizes from celebrity builder Tommy Walsh at a college open day.
Inspiration 2013 was held at Barking and Dagenham College yesterday to kick start National Apprentice Week, highlight the number of training opportunities available and showcase the skills of construction trade students.
There were a number of ‘have a go’ activities, student demonstrations, talks by industry leaders, and a series of skills competitions in trades such as plumbing, carpentry, bricklaying and plastering.
Walsh, from BBC’s Groundforce, dropped in to present prizes to the winners.
He said: “It’s been a real honour to be able to come and see so many students who have decided to take up the challenge and get into the construction industry.
You may also want to watch:
“This is a great way to highlight the many career opportunities the industry can provide and judging by the talent I’ve seen today, I’m sure these young adults have fantastic career opportunities ahead of them.”
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 3 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 4 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 5 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 6 'Stunning mural celebrating Barking history is complete
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Paralympic gold medallist inspires Dagenham judo pupils
- 10 Barking woman praises job programme that has helped more than 3,000 people