Tommy Walsh joins Barking and Dagenham College construction students for open day
- Credit: Archant
Students showed off their talents, from plumbing to plastering, and received prizes from celebrity builder Tommy Walsh at a college open day.
Inspiration 2013 was held at Barking and Dagenham College yesterday to kick start National Apprentice Week, highlight the number of training opportunities available and showcase the skills of construction trade students.
There were a number of ‘have a go’ activities, student demonstrations, talks by industry leaders, and a series of skills competitions in trades such as plumbing, carpentry, bricklaying and plastering.
Walsh, from BBC’s Groundforce, dropped in to present prizes to the winners.
He said: “It’s been a real honour to be able to come and see so many students who have decided to take up the challenge and get into the construction industry.
You may also want to watch:
“This is a great way to highlight the many career opportunities the industry can provide and judging by the talent I’ve seen today, I’m sure these young adults have fantastic career opportunities ahead of them.”
- 1 Street food market coming to Barking as lockdown continues to ease
- 2 Three arrests after cannabis raids in Dagenham and South Woodford
- 3 PICTURES: People enjoy new 'rule of six' at Barking and Dagenham parks
- 4 Second World War bomb pulled from River Thames in Barking
- 5 Jailed: Burglar who drove on wrong side of road trying to flee police
- 6 Rainbow lights 'signal hope' as part of Barking and Dagenham festival
- 7 Barking and Dagenham pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 8 Column: Dagenham & Redbridge must strive for redemption
- 9 Old boy Cheek downs Daggers
- 10 Hospital worker killed by ex-partner before he committed suicide, court hears