Barking and Dagenham College students build marshmallow-topped tower
- Credit: Barking and Dagenham College
One yard of tape, one yard of string, 20 sticks of spaghetti and one marshmallow.
These are the building materials for the marshmallow challenge, which Barking and Dagenham College has used to teach their students teamwork and leadership skills.
Used by schools and businesses across the globe, the challenge is to build the tallest freestanding structure possible: the marshmallow must be on top and the structure cannot be suspended from the ceiling.
Dagenham beauty student Lucy Blythe, 17, was part of the winning team of four: “It was such a giggle and afterwards we all had time to reflect on our teamwork, such as what our strengths and weaknesses were.
“I learnt some really valuable lessons for the future.”
You may also want to watch:
Tim Carey, business enterprise lead at Barking and Dagenham College said that the team Lucy built was 21 inches tall, an inch more than most business graduates manage.
- 1 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Dagenham man banned from keeping animals after starved pony found collapsed
- 3 Air ambulance scrambled after man 'taken ill' in Barking Park
- 4 Dog strips bark off trees in 'terrible act of vandalism' at park in Dagenham
- 5 Barking gurdwara 'thrills' after modern and traditional rebuild
- 6 Ho-ho-ho! Bingo hall gets visit from Santa for 'Junemas'
- 7 Average house price in Barking and Dagenham falls from record high
- 8 'Always smiling' former mayoress turns 100
- 9 Barking sex offender who pushed crotch into girl, 15, on Tube sentenced
- 10 Dagenham & Redbridge release six as they announce retained list