Trainee hairdressers get work experience of a lifetime
- Credit: Archant
A group of college students are spending two weeks getting valuable work experience on the Greek holiday island of Crete on the prestigious Erasmus exchange programme.
On Monday February 6, 18 students and two teachers flew out to begin their trip in the Mediterranean.
It’s the first time that the Technical Skills Academy, which is part of Barking & Dagenham College, has run the exchange programme, which places the aspiring hair stylists and beauty therapists in spas and hair salons in the town of Rethymnon.
However, it’s not all work and no play, as they get a chance to explore the sights of the popular tourist town at the weekends.
Lee Demmel, curriculum manager for hair and beauty at the college said: “It’s such a fantastic opportunity for the students to experience local culture and traditions and share good industry practices that may differ country to country.
You may also want to watch:
“They are building their confidence and those all important employability skills too.”
- 1 Drivers escape injury in Dagenham crash
- 2 Man, 20, found stabbed in Barking
- 3 Eid prayer recited outside Barking Town Hall as groups call for more worship spaces
- 4 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 5 Former east London police sergeant sentenced after pleading guilty to harassment
- 6 Antisocial behaviour patrols in Barking and Dagenham
- 7 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 8 'Love Island promo' spotted filming in Barking
- 9 'Singling out developers to sort out the cladding scandal'
- 10 Column: Pride and trust continues to grow in Dagenham squad