Two Lloyds bank scholars from Barking celebrate graduation
- Credit: Archant
Two women celebrated their graduation from university at a ceremony put on by the Lloyds Scholars programme in central London last week.
Radhika Patel and Kayleigh Derricutt, both from Barking, were two of the largest group to graduate from the award-winning programme it began in 2011.
Radhika stole the show, taking home the prestigious Scholars Champion award.
The programme offers young people from lower income households the opportunity to gain employability skills and experience alongside their degrees.
Radhika said: “Deciding to apply to the Lloyds Scholars scheme has been one of the best decisions I’ve made.
You may also want to watch:
“I could always talk passionately about something that was important to me, but with the scheme I was given the platform to do so to a lot of senior people, which I never thought I was quite capable of.”
- 1 Arrest after girl, 14, found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 2 Company fined £3k after supermarket in Dagenham sold booze to minor
- 3 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 4 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 5 Government 'never gave support' for Beam Park station, minister says
- 6 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 7 Stephen Port inquests: Police chief denies 'systemic' errors
- 8 'Stunning mural celebrating Barking history is complete
- 9 Murder of 'local hero' policeman in Dagenham to be marked after 175 years
- 10 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines