Two Lloyds bank scholars from Barking celebrate graduation
- Credit: Archant
Two women celebrated their graduation from university at a ceremony put on by the Lloyds Scholars programme in central London last week.
Radhika Patel and Kayleigh Derricutt, both from Barking, were two of the largest group to graduate from the award-winning programme it began in 2011.
Radhika stole the show, taking home the prestigious Scholars Champion award.
The programme offers young people from lower income households the opportunity to gain employability skills and experience alongside their degrees.
Radhika said: “Deciding to apply to the Lloyds Scholars scheme has been one of the best decisions I’ve made.
You may also want to watch:
“I could always talk passionately about something that was important to me, but with the scheme I was given the platform to do so to a lot of senior people, which I never thought I was quite capable of.”
- 1 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 2 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 3 Storage building next to disused Dagenham pub destroyed by fire
- 4 Dagenham man sentenced after flying kick at cop during Black Lives Matter demo
- 5 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 6 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 7 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 8 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 9 'Blows on the hand with a strap': The story of Barking's women jute weavers
- 10 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault