Two Lloyds bank scholars from Barking celebrate graduation
- Credit: Archant
Two women celebrated their graduation from university at a ceremony put on by the Lloyds Scholars programme in central London last week.
Radhika Patel and Kayleigh Derricutt, both from Barking, were two of the largest group to graduate from the award-winning programme it began in 2011.
Radhika stole the show, taking home the prestigious Scholars Champion award.
The programme offers young people from lower income households the opportunity to gain employability skills and experience alongside their degrees.
Radhika said: “Deciding to apply to the Lloyds Scholars scheme has been one of the best decisions I’ve made.
You may also want to watch:
“I could always talk passionately about something that was important to me, but with the scheme I was given the platform to do so to a lot of senior people, which I never thought I was quite capable of.”
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and Thames by-election
- 2 Man stabbed in front of son, 12, in 'unprovoked, violent' attack in Barking
- 3 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 4 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 5 'Woke rubbish': Losing candidate on stir over 'unspellable' names comment
- 6 Chadwell Heath woman fined after not reporting Iron Age coin find
- 7 Jailed: Man whose drunken knife attack left one dead and woman injured at Dagenham dinner party
- 8 Meet the candidates battling for votes in the Thames ward by-election
- 9 Barking shisha bar was wrongly shut down for Covid breaches, owner claims
- 10 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night