Two new free schools announced for Barking and Dagenham
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Two new all-through special schools are set to be built in the borough.
The schools - known as Beam Bridge School and Thames View Bridge School - were announced by the Department for Education today in the latest wave of free schools.
Across the country, 131 new free schools have been announced.
Education secretary Justine Greening said: “We need schools that can bring out the best in every single child no matter where they’re growing up, how much their parents earn, or however different their talents are.
“That’s why these new schools are so important - they give us the school places we need for the future, and they also give parents more choices to find a great school place in their area that’s right for their child.”
But shadow education secretary Angela Rayner added: “While new school places are welcome and necessary, the Government are failing to deliver the number of places that will be needed by 2020.
“The free schools programme has been proven to be an enormously expensive and inefficient way to create school places.
- 1 Dagenham woman forced to pay £1,000 over rotting waste in garden
- 2 Homes under the Planner: Development that could be coming to the borough
- 3 School's new headteacher on wellbeing and helping pupils realise potential
- 4 Ofsted praises progress of Dagenham school after inspection
- 5 Coroner's report outlines concerns with Stephen Port murder investigations
- 6 Eastbury Manor House to reopen 'as soon as possible'
- 7 'He will not survive the cold': Family fear for missing Sphynx cat
- 8 Care provider taken to court by council in waste disposal dispute
- 9 Gallery: Hidden photos reveal London's East End in the 1960s
- 10 'I just shut my eyes': Murder accused tells of moment he ran over victim
“Today’s announcement alone almost certainly comes with a huge price tag, without necessarily even providing new school places in the areas that need them most. And this is at a time when existing schools are facing a severe funding crisis.”
In addition to the two new schools, Barking and Dagenham has five free schools in the pre-opening phase.
These include three primary schools - Abelle Free Primary School, Greatfields Primary School and Mallard Primary School – and two secondary schools, Beam High School and Green Spring New School.
In addition, six free schools have already opened in the borough, the first being Riverside School in 2013.
Two other secondary schools - Greatfields School and Elutec - have followed, along with the all-through Goresbrook and Riverside Bridge schools, plus Riverside Primary School.