New college club helping women get into construction in Barking & Dagenham
- Credit: BDC
Barking & Dagenham College has started a new club to get women working in the construction industry.
Partnering with the charity Women Into Construction, the new "construction club" is set to give advice to female students about roles and routes into construction.
The club is hoping to offer one-to-one employability and mentoring sessions, as well as setting up work placements and site visits with construction contractors.
Holly Bridge, who studies construction and design at Barking & Dagenham College and one of the first club members said: "It was really interesting to talk to the employer at the meeting. I'm looking forward to starting my work placement and gaining experience in the construction industry next year."
The Construction Club is aiming to help the women apply for jobs and with getting CSCS cards to work on construction sites.
You may also want to watch:
Anna Walterskotter, project manager for Women Into Construction, said: "With the help of Barking & Dagenham College and this new initiative, we hope to see many new young women obtain jobs and start their career."
- 1 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 2 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 3 Storage building next to disused Dagenham pub destroyed by fire
- 4 Dagenham man sentenced after flying kick at cop during Black Lives Matter demo
- 5 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 6 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 7 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 8 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 9 'Blows on the hand with a strap': The story of Barking's women jute weavers
- 10 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault