Young apprentice delights at life-changing job offer through Barking and Dagenham College scheme
- Credit: Archant
A young apprentice has been transformed from a quiet and reserved teenager to a confident and ambitious worker after winning a full-time construction contract.
Charlie Gilbody joined the Higgins Construction and East Thames housing development site at Grove Farm as an apprentice bricklayer while studying for his NVQ level 3 at Barking and Dagenham College a year ago.
Charlie, who was offered a full-time role at the site for the length of the project on Monday last week (March 18) and £100 of builder’s mechant vouchers, said if it wasn’t for the apprenticeship he would be “sitting at home now, playing on my PlayStation and looking for work”.
He added: “As well as giving me the knowledge I’ve needed they’ve (the company) given me plenty of support and encouragement. I’ve learned to be more open and more confident and now I can speak to anyone.”
Tony Carruthers, deputy curriculum director for building crafts at Barking and Dagenham College, said: “Charlie has always applied himself to his studies and just needed the opportunity to transfer the skills learned to a ‘real work’ environment”
You may also want to watch:
Now the eighteen-year-old from Ilford has his sights set on a future in the industry, adding; “Now I have a full-time job I want to push on a bit, become a foreman in 10 years time maximum.”
Grove Farm is a development of 104 flats and houses in Redbridge and is one of a range of East Thames projects which offer opportunities to people across east London and Essex seeking a career in construction.
- 1 Wates Residential wins contract to build 400 homes in Barking
- 2 Jailed: Dagenham man who took part in racist robbery which left man needing facial reconstruction
- 3 Barking and Dagenham gets ready to mark St George's Day
- 4 Meeting ex-banker London mayoral candidate Brian Rose
- 5 Barking & Dagenham girls on cloud nine after big opening win
- 6 Man fined £700 after throwing away cigarette outside Barking station
- 7 Barking mum: 'Wood falling from truck could have killed me or my kids'
- 8 Watch the moment Dagenham man attacks police officer with sword
- 9 Dagenham boss McMahon keen to build on back-to-back wins
- 10 Have your say on the future of the Barking and Dagenham Post