England call-up for super Hines
WEST HAM youngster Zavon Hines has been selected in the England under-21 squad for next week s European Championship qualifier against Macedonia. The 20-year-old has been one of the plus points during the Hammers disappointing start to the new campaign,
WEST HAM youngster Zavon Hines has been selected in the England under-21 squad for next week's European Championship qualifier against Macedonia.
The 20-year-old has been one of the plus points during the Hammers' disappointing start to the new campaign, impressing in three Premier League starts and scoring in the Carling Cup victory over Millwall back in August.
And he has been rewarded for those efforts by joining team-mates James Tomkins and Junior Stanislas in the squad for the game next Friday, which will take place at Coventry City's Ricoh Arena, where Hines was on loan for two months in 2008.
Hines was born in Jamaica and was selected for their senior squad last season for a friendly against Nigeria.
However, he did not feature, and therefore is still eligible for the England under-21 side.
MEANWHILE another Academy boy - Anthony Edgar - has moved to League Two outfit Bournemouth on loan.
- 1 ‘He put his life into family’: Tributes paid to former builder who died of Covid
- 2 Barking was Britain's ninth most used station in 2020/21, figures show
- 3 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 4 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 5 When are Royal Mail's last posting dates for Christmas 2021?
- 6 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 7 'I am really humbled': New Bishop of Barking appointed
- 8 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 9 ‘For the love of animals’: Group which reunites lost pets with their owners fundraises for specialist equipment
- 10 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
The 19-year-old follows cousin Jermain Defoe down to the south coast, and will hope to have a loan spell for the Cherries as impressive as the former Hammer did back in 2000-2001.
Edgar made a useful debut for Eddie Howe's league leaders in Saturday's 0-0 draw at Port Vale.
Also out on loan, and making his league debut, was Icelandic under-21 international defender Holmar Orn Eyjolfsson.
The 19-year-old appeared for League Two outfit Cheltenham Town, managed by former Hammer Martin Allen.
He played 66 minutes in the 1-1 draw against big-spending Notts County.