Euro gold for Ilford cyclist
ILFORD cycling star Joe Perrett has struck gold for Great Britain on the first day of the Junior and under-23 European Championships. His event was an 18-mile time-trial from the outskirts of Ostend to the town of Hooglede in Belgium. The 18-year-old you
ILFORD cycling star Joe Perrett has struck gold for Great Britain on the first day of the Junior and under-23 European Championships.
His event was an 18-mile time-trial from the outskirts of Ostend to the town of Hooglede in Belgium.
The 18-year-old youngster, who goes to Davenant Foundation School in Loughton, rides for the Glendene Junior Cycling Club in Brentwood.
He turned in a scorching ride to match the 36 degree heat, averaging just over 30mph and beat his nearest rival - Bob Jungels from Luxemburg - by 16 seconds.
There were 74 competitors in total from 32 countries.
"It was a good course," said British Junior TT champion Perrett, who admitted this is his best victory.
- 1 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 2 Jailed: Burglar who stole equipment worth more than £3k from car repair centre
- 3 Jailed: Dagenham man pressed groin against pregnant woman on Tube train
- 4 Dagenham man in court over Zara Aleena murder
- 5 Two 'child abduction' arrests after three-year-old girl reported missing
- 6 No injuries after car and van collide in Dagenham Heathway
- 7 Man taken to hospital after fight reported on Heathway in Dagenham
- 8 Jailed: Hornchurch man found with weapons in Dagenham
- 9 Vigil to be held this Saturday for 'pure of heart' Zara Aleena
- 10 Man charged after staff assault at Barking Asda
"I like a long course and had been training hard for it before the nationals. I was told a week before, that I was doing the European TT so I started doing 28k time-trials around Hanningfield reservoir which is a tough course, a lot like the one today with long straights and a few climbs.
"I did a few time-trial efforts round that, as well as a few good long road rides and then backed off for the nationals.
"The bends out there today looked worse than they were and I was still able to fly around them."
Indeed it has been a hectic month for Perrett, who has gained two national titles for 10 and 25-mile distance time-trials and contested the National Championship road race at Abergavenny.