Family and friends say farewell
A FATHER of two girls, who died in a stabbing incident at a Barking pub, was laid to rest by his family last week. Daniel Leahy, known as Danny, suffered stab wounds to the chest while apparently drinking at The Victoria in Axe Street on Easter Monday. It
A FATHER of two girls, who died in a stabbing incident at a Barking pub, was laid to rest by his family last week.
Daniel Leahy, known as Danny, suffered stab wounds to the chest while apparently drinking at The Victoria in Axe Street on Easter Monday.
It is thought the 45-year-old was the innocent bystander to an argument that erupted in the bar at around 9pm.
Last Thursday morning his family and friends gathered outside St Peter and St Paul's Church in High Road, Ilford, to mourn his tragic loss.
You may also want to watch:
The black hearse bore floral tributes saying "Son", "Dad" and "Danny".
At least 100 people gathered outside the church, many of them relations from Ireland who had flown over for the funeral.
- 1 Butcher fined £40k for selling 'poor quality chicken'
- 2 Major train disruption and cancellations through Barking via Rainham
- 3 Stephen Port victims' delayed inquest set to begin in Barking
- 4 Indian restaurants in Barking and Dagenham, recommended by readers
- 5 Humanist: 'Support bill to scrap archaic requirement for school worship'
- 6 Hospitality Day: Barking and Dagenham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 7 Businesses urged to comply with new food labelling law
- 8 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 9 Parade through Barking celebrates borough's 'inspirational' youngsters
- 10 Restaurant ordered to pay £5k after 2019 fly-tipping offences
A wake was held at The Bull pub in North Street, Barking, that afternoon.
Danny was born in London and lived in Bamber House, St Margaret's, Barking, until his death. His parents were originally from southern Ireland.
His friends spoke of him as a "lovely popular man" and described his death as "a shocking and terrible waste of a life".
Danny was separated from his partner, with whom he had two daughters - they were both at his funeral.
Police launched a huge murder investigation following the stabbing, in which Danny's friend David Murphy, 49, was also injured.
Paramedics called to the Victoria pub in Axe Street, where Danny was a regular, tried desperately to save his life but he was pronounced dead at the scene.
A 39-year-old man and a 14-year-old boy have now been charged with Danny's murder and common assault. It is believed the pair are father and son.
They appeared at Barking Court on April 20 and were committed to crown court for trial.