Family escape fire which destroys Dagenham bus
- Credit: Archant
A woman has told of her relief at her family’s survival after the back of a double decker bus they were on went up in flames.
Firemen tackled the blaze outside Lidl in Longbridge Road, Dagenham, on Friday afternoon.
Mariamn Knagadya said her sister, niece and nephew were on the bus.
“When they noticed smoke, they went off, that was by Lidl,” she added.
“[While] waiting for another bus, smoke continued until the bus caught fire. But they were still at the scene.
You may also want to watch:
“Because my sister had a baby in the buggy they asked her to move away due to fumes that might harm the kids. [I’m] glad they survived.”
In a video taken by a passerby Billy Spring, flames can be seen billowing out from the back of the vehicle.
- 1 Man stabbed in front of son, 12, in 'unprovoked, violent' attack in Barking
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and Thames by-election
- 3 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 4 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 5 Jailed: Man whose drunken knife attack left one dead and woman injured at Dagenham dinner party
- 6 'Woke rubbish': Losing candidate on stir over 'unspellable' names comment
- 7 Chadwell Heath woman fined after not reporting Iron Age coin find
- 8 Meet the candidates battling for votes in the Thames ward by-election
- 9 Barking shisha bar was wrongly shut down for Covid breaches, owner claims
- 10 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night
A spokeswoman from London Fire Brigade confirmed that they were called at 1.29pm and the fire was under control by 2.04pm.
“We sent three engines to one double decker bus which was 20 per cent alight,” she added.
Were you on the bus or did you see the fire? Email email@example.com.