Fancy that! Schools on the ball for footie
WE go back nearly 29 years for this week s Days of the Old School Yard when there was some real fancy footwork between boys and girls in Newham. The dressy play ensued when teams togged up for the annual fancy dress football match between the girls of Pla
WE go back nearly 29 years for this week's Days of the Old School Yard when there was some real fancy footwork between boys and girls in Newham.
The dressy play ensued when teams togged up for the annual fancy dress football match between the girls of Plashet School in East Ham and the lads from Canning Town's Trinity School.
One female striker turned out in nappies, while another took to the field in striped pyjamas. Clowns, a milkmaid and and olden-days coachman - complete with white wig - also featured in the girls' squad.
They were up against "a man in a mac", the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz and a couple of lads sporting natty dresses.
You may also want to watch:
The game, which took place at Plashet Park in East Ham, ended much like Spurs matches nowadays...a 4-4 draw!
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Ban on antisocial behaviour around Dagenham Heathway station extended
- 3 Timeline: When false widow spiders have come to east London
- 4 NHS trust to run online consultations on new clinical strategy
- 5 Former Ford apprentices reunite at college - some after nearly five decades
- 6 Ex-footballer, Ford strike leader and Iranian embassy siege cop awarded Barking and Dagenham's highest accolade
- 7 Timeline: Who was Stephen Port and when were his murders uncovered?
- 8 Domestic abuse support hub opens in Barking
- 9 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
- 10 Former council offices to be transformed into 'workspace and cultural hub'