Fancy that! Schools on the ball for footie
WE go back nearly 29 years for this week s Days of the Old School Yard when there was some real fancy footwork between boys and girls in Newham. The dressy play ensued when teams togged up for the annual fancy dress football match between the girls of Pla
WE go back nearly 29 years for this week's Days of the Old School Yard when there was some real fancy footwork between boys and girls in Newham.
The dressy play ensued when teams togged up for the annual fancy dress football match between the girls of Plashet School in East Ham and the lads from Canning Town's Trinity School.
One female striker turned out in nappies, while another took to the field in striped pyjamas. Clowns, a milkmaid and and olden-days coachman - complete with white wig - also featured in the girls' squad.
They were up against "a man in a mac", the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz and a couple of lads sporting natty dresses.
You may also want to watch:
The game, which took place at Plashet Park in East Ham, ended much like Spurs matches nowadays...a 4-4 draw!
- 1 Woman brightens up Barking and Dagenham with colourful crochet creations
- 2 'Strong, united community' hailed as plans for hotel in Barking withdrawn
- 3 Appeal for help as girl, 17, reported missing from Dagenham
- 4 Bobby Moore's daughter visits Upney buildings to be named after footballers
- 5 Three men found stabbed after alleged brawl in Dagenham
- 6 Walk-in Covid-19 jab events for all adults to be held in Barking
- 7 Exhibition launches to celebrate 100 years of Becontree Estate
- 8 Met launches summer operation as teen killings surge
- 9 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 10 Woman organises do after Covid-19 restrictions force school in Dagenham to cancel prom