Fine second for B string
NEWHAM & ESSEX BEAGLES B string side finished second at Woking in their fifth league fixture of the season on Saturday. Despite illness and team members missing the coach, Beagles made an excellent start as Bob Kingman won the A string pole vault with a c
NEWHAM & ESSEX BEAGLES B string side finished second at Woking in their fifth league fixture of the season on Saturday.
Despite illness and team members missing the coach, Beagles made an excellent start as Bob Kingman won the A string pole vault with a clearance of 4.40m, while in the B string, team manager Leroy Gould cleared the opening height to gain fourth.
On the other side of the field in the hammer, Nick Webb placed third in A with 38.07m a feat replicated in the B by Steve Head with 22.55m. Webb also set a PB of 15.7m to win the shot.
Dotun Ogunkeyede showed great promise in the high jump clearing 1.80m for third in the A event, while Haroon Abdi won the B 800m, as did Andre Duque in a slightly faster 1.58.3 in the A.
You may also want to watch:
The match lead changed hands until after 11 events had passed, as Portsmouth and Beagles pulled away by a mere 13 points.
In the 5,000m, James Shanes' return from injury was a success, as he and Stuart Major shared the lead, with Shanes losing out in a final sprint in 15.23.5 and 15.30.8 respectively.
- 1 Woman brightens up Barking and Dagenham with colourful crochet creations
- 2 Staff to strike at primary school in Dagenham
- 3 Appeal for help as girl, 17, reported missing from Dagenham
- 4 Three men found stabbed after alleged brawl in Dagenham
- 5 Bobby Moore's daughter visits Upney buildings to be named after footballers
- 6 'Strong, united community' hailed as plans for hotel in Barking withdrawn
- 7 TfL admits wrongly charging supercar driver almost £1k in emission fees
- 8 Walk-in Covid-19 jab events for all adults to be held in Barking
- 9 Woman organises do after Covid-19 restrictions force school in Dagenham to cancel prom
- 10 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
A season's best of 13.26m from Marcin Michalczyk in the shot B was enough for victory, as sprint duo Kem Chiagorom and Jorhelio Ramos both recorded second places, with Chiagorom's time of 11.1 a seasons best.
With four events left and Portsmouth holding a commanding lead, the field eventers enjoyed a double win in the discus.
Webb's throw of 48.21m was six metres clear and Aaron Edwards threw 39.60m for B team honours.
The 4x100m relay team of Kelvin Goodwin, Ogunkeyede, Ramos and Chiagorom stormed away for the win in 44.7, while in the 4x400m relay, Michael Osunsami, Goodwin, Nacole Iddiriso and Shane finished second in 3.28.00 to seal second overall.