Fire rips through flat above Dagenham takeaway shop
- Credit: @PaulWood1961
A flat above a takeaway shop in Dagenham was badly damaged after a fire broke out last night.
Firefighters were called to Green Lane at 8.50pm yesterday (Thursday, March 11), with neighbours escaping unharmed as the blaze took hold.
The second floor of the building was destroyed and most of the first floor was damaged.
Leading firefighter Chris Wilson, who was at the scene, said: “On arrival, we could see heavy smoke and flames coming from the first floor at the rear of the building and from the mansard roof.
“Residents from neighbouring flats had left their properties before the brigade arrived and crews searched the premises to make sure that no one was inside.
You may also want to watch:
“Thankfully, no one was hurt.”
The fire was under control by 10.44pm. Investigators believe it was caused by an unspecified “electrical event”.
- 1 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham
- 2 Barking and Dagenham pubs and bars reopen for outdoor service
- 3 Becontree Estate designed after Spanish Flu 'helped prevent Covid deaths'
- 4 Light festival sees cyclists brighten up Barking and Dagenham streets
- 5 Jailed: ‘Extremely dangerous’ Dagenham man who plotted terrorist attack
- 6 Views sought on Sebastian Court community space
- 7 Meet the candidates battling for votes in the Thames ward by-election
- 8 Litter pickers mark opening of new community centre in Dagenham
- 9 Three arrests after cannabis raids in Dagenham and South Woodford
- 10 BHRUT in capsule trial for detecting colorectal cancer
Six fire engines and 40 crew members were at the scene.