First class effort by former postie
ILFORD S Steve Allen retained his title as London Post Office walking champion on Saturday, after completing six twisting circuits of the Clerkenwell streets. Although no longer a postman, Allen still had to don a postman s uniform and cap to fulfil the e
ILFORD'S Steve Allen retained his title as London Post Office walking champion on Saturday, after completing six twisting circuits of the Clerkenwell streets.
Although no longer a postman, Allen still had to don a postman's uniform and cap to fulfil the entry requirements for the six-mile race.
The Ilford walker was relatively untroubled as he won the event by a distance, with a time of 55 minutes 25 seconds, despite carrying an injury which he made light of.
Ilford's Micky Sutton came third in 59.20, and would certainly have fared better had he not suffered illness in mid-race.
You may also want to watch:
The heat took its toll on an athlete who was racing for only the second time since completing the UK 100 Miles Championship in July.
Ilford's walking captain, Dave Sharpe, clocked 59.10, finishing just ahead of Sutton, but as he'd entered only as a guest competitor, he was not eligible for the awards.
- 1 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 2 Murder of 'local hero' policeman in Dagenham to be marked after 175 years
- 3 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 4 Dagenham pop-up shop sees young people sell their products and share skills
- 5 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home
- 6 Jailed: Man who crashed stolen van then headbutted police officer
- 7 Darren Rodwell: 'I attended Tory conference to lobby for underground A13'
- 8 Girl, 15, missing from Dagenham for ten days
- 9 Stephen Port inquests: Detective apologises to families for mistakes
- 10 'Life is hard, why make it harder?': Protesters call for new consultation over parking scheme roll out
The race started from the giant Mount Pleasant sorting office, for the 48th staging of this long-established sporting contest.