Fledgling music pub’s Jovi-al experience
A NEW live music venue in Hainault is proving a big hit and is planning its biggest gig yet – the much-vaunted Bon Jovi Experience by JonByJovi, a tribute band who have so impressed the original they were invited to play on stage with them. The Hyneholt i
A NEW live music venue in Hainault is proving a big hit and is planning its biggest gig yet - the much-vaunted Bon Jovi Experience by JonByJovi, a tribute band who have so impressed the original they were invited to play on stage with them.
The Hyneholt in Manford Way was opened last year by old school friends Richard Gwatkin, Thomas Gray, David Gillin and Phil Rust, who grew up in Hainault and attended Hainault Forest High School.
Determined to change the fortunes of the old Alfred's Head, which had a reputation for trouble, they bought the pub, changed its name and have now been putting on bands, for free, every Saturday night.
Richard says: "I've always loved live music but from here, it's either a 20-minute car drive or a right pain on public transport to get to a venue. Also, this is an estate with many people on low incomes and they can't afford to pay an admission fee. That's why our nights are free."
You may also want to watch:
Of course it takes a while for a new venue to become established, but Richard says the Saturday gigs are picking up and they are hoping the JonByJovi gig, supported by popular pub band Hedgehog - who can be seen in action at the pub this Saturday - will really put The Hyneholt on the map.
That gig, on May 9, will cost �15 a ticket on the night - or �10 in advance - and Richard and the guys say any profit, after they have paid the bands, will go to the Mayor of Redbridge's charity.
- 1 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 2 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 3 Work begins on £1.8m arts centre transformation in Barking
- 4 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 5 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 6 Man praises community spirit after flood water threatens homes in Dagenham
- 7 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 8 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 9 Former child refugee who founded Barking women's service up for award
- 10 Parkrun returns to east London: Where can you join in?
Richard says: "There are a few Bon Jovi tribute bands around but these are the bees' knees."
Tickets from the pub on 020 8500 7866.