Flying squad wheels
A GROUP of residents have been so impressed by police response times, they stumped up and bought a new bike for the boys in blue. Gascoigne safer neighbourhood team (SNT) were delighted last week when the Suttons tenants and residents association (TRA) ha
A GROUP of residents have been so impressed by police response times, they stumped up and bought a new bike for the boys in blue.
Gascoigne safer neighbourhood team (SNT) were delighted last week when the Suttons tenants and residents association (TRA) handed over a brand new bike.
Families living in the Suttons area of Gascoigne ward were so impressed with the lightening fast response time of bobbies on bikes that they decided to buy one for their SNT as a token of appreciation.
On Wednesday June 3 leader of the Suttons TRA Alan Gardener presented the bicycle to PC Keith Harvey and the rest of the team.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Gardener said: "We wanted to do something to recognise the fantastic work that these police officers do in our community.
"They really are a brilliant group of hard working individuals.
- 1 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 2 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 3 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 4 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 5 Barking woman praises job programme that has helped more than 3,000 people
- 6 Barking and Dagenham girls' district suffer heavy defeat to Chelmsford
- 7 'Life is hard, why make it harder?': Protesters call for new consultation over parking scheme roll out
- 8 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 Murder of 'local hero' policeman in Dagenham to be marked after 175 years
"The bikes are a great idea; the response time of officers on bikes is so quick.
"Plus a cyclist can go places a driver can't in a car."
Suttons TRA also hope that other community groups around Barking and Dagenham will follow their example and buy a bike for their SNT.
Mr Gardener added: "If we can get the money together I'm sure others can too.
"And what a fantastic way to recognise the hard work of your local police officers."
The idea was first hit upon by Suttons TRA when they heard that two of Gascoigne SNT's bikes were out of action and needed new parts.
Unfortunately, as the parts were specialised, they were difficult to find.
But Suttons TRA came to the rescue as they knew the brilliant job that bicycle patrols did in their ward.
PC Harvey said: "We really appreciate this gesture from the Suttons tenants and residents.
"It is extremely generous of them and we can't thank them enough.
"Bicycle patrols are so important in the community, they help people feel safer and their response time to calls is excellent."
Gascoigne SNT officers have also been visiting families in their ward to mark property and offer burglary prevention advice.
Contact Sgt John Greene and his team on 020 8721 2787.