Former Mayor Edith dies aged 88
FORMER mayor and councillor Edith Bradley, who served the borough for 27 years, has died at the age of 88. Mrs Bradley was elected to represent Goresbrook ward in 1971, the same year as her good friend, current mayor Charles Fairbrass. She remained a cou
FORMER mayor and councillor Edith Bradley, who served the borough for 27 years, has died at the age of 88.
Mrs Bradley was elected to represent Goresbrook ward in 1971, the same year as her good friend, current mayor Charles Fairbrass.
She remained a councillor until 1986, when she took an eight-year break from politics. Mrs Bradley rejoined the council in 1994, representing Becontree ward until May 2006.
She passed away on June 20, leaving behind her three daughters and grandchildren.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Bradley was described as a "good, kind lady who loved children" by Cllr Fairbrass at the Assembly meeting last week.
He said: "Edie Bradley became a councillor the same year as myself, 1971. I knew Edie for the best part of 50 years. Like me, she had a great interest in children and education.
- 1 Barking gurdwara 'thrills' after modern and traditional rebuild
- 2 Topping out milestone for Barking tower block development
- 3 Barking sex offender who pushed crotch into girl, 15, on Tube sentenced
- 4 Budding entrepreneur from Dagenham wins business pitch competition
- 5 Council warns residents after reports of rogue traders in Dagenham
- 6 Fairlop woman ordered to pay £1k over Dagenham cigarette littering
- 7 Barking MP joins schoolchildren for managing money lesson
- 8 Steve Allen: 'Oxford students should vote on Magdalen pronunciation instead'
- 9 Dagenham set to announce retained list with three already departing
- 10 Barking man arrested after three men injured in Southend
"She was especially involved in the education of children with learning difficulties at the three previous special schools in this borough."
Mrs Bradley served on numerous committees and represented the council as chairwoman of the B&D Befrienders Company and management committees of York House and Grays Court home for the elderly.
In 1983 she was elected mayor and served as mayoress in 1989 to her husband, the late former councillor Peter Bradley. Mrs Bradley was awarded the Freedom of the Borough in 2001. Her funeral took place on July 1.