Freeze will not save very much
The London Assembly last week debated Boris Johnson s budget proposals, the headline of which was his promise to not increase the GLA s share of council tax this year. This is relatively easy to achieve without affecting frontline police and fire service
The London Assembly last week debated Boris Johnson's budget proposals, the headline of which was his promise to not increase the GLA's share of council tax this year.
This is relatively easy to achieve without affecting frontline police and fire services for one year. Barking and Dagenham have managed it with much larger budgets.
It is, however, dishonest of the Mayor to claim that he is saving Londoners money.
While the council tax freeze will save the average household just 11p a week, Boris Johnson's decision to raise bus and tube fares will cost those who use public transport anything between �160 and �300 extra a year.
You may also want to watch:
Holding tax down with one hand and snatching fares with the other does not represent value for money for working Londoners.
Londoners expect far more from their Mayor than a delay in increases to their council tax bills. They expect someone who will stand-up for their city, fight for funds, and protect them during the recession.
- 1 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Dagenham & Redbridge interested in former Leyton Orient full-back Sam Ling
- 3 Ho-ho-ho! Bingo hall gets visit from Santa for 'Junemas'
- 4 Dog strips bark off trees in 'terrible act of vandalism' at park in Dagenham
- 5 Dagenham man banned from keeping animals after starved pony found collapsed
- 6 Air ambulance scrambled after man 'taken ill' in Barking Park
- 7 Average house price in Barking and Dagenham falls from record high
- 8 Barking sex offender who pushed crotch into girl, 15, on Tube sentenced
- 9 Father's Day: Fond memories of Dagenham 'gent' with 'a heart of gold'
- 10 Hospice sister on supporting patients with 'lifeline' video calls
There is nothing in the Mayor's budget or economic recovery plan to show that he understands or appreciates his role.
Assembly Member for City
& East London