Freeze will not save very much
The London Assembly last week debated Boris Johnson s budget proposals, the headline of which was his promise to not increase the GLA s share of council tax this year. This is relatively easy to achieve without affecting frontline police and fire service
The London Assembly last week debated Boris Johnson's budget proposals, the headline of which was his promise to not increase the GLA's share of council tax this year.
This is relatively easy to achieve without affecting frontline police and fire services for one year. Barking and Dagenham have managed it with much larger budgets.
It is, however, dishonest of the Mayor to claim that he is saving Londoners money.
While the council tax freeze will save the average household just 11p a week, Boris Johnson's decision to raise bus and tube fares will cost those who use public transport anything between �160 and �300 extra a year.
Holding tax down with one hand and snatching fares with the other does not represent value for money for working Londoners.
Londoners expect far more from their Mayor than a delay in increases to their council tax bills. They expect someone who will stand-up for their city, fight for funds, and protect them during the recession.
- 1 Dagenham man jailed for 12 years for punching to death Marius Lakavicius
- 2 Dagenham man fined within hours of fly-tipping at bus stop
- 3 Ilford man has van crushed, given curfew for Barking and Dagenham fly-tips
- 4 VOTE: Which east London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
- 5 West Ham's Kurt Zouma admits to kicking and slapping his cat
- 6 Barking BikeFest comes to town
- 7 'Beautiful skin and incredible smile': What happened when the Queen visited a Dagenham school
- 8 Elizabeth Line opens: Londoners enjoy first day of service
- 9 5 of the best things to do with kids in east London
- 10 Trust cuts waiting list backlog created by computer error
There is nothing in the Mayor's budget or economic recovery plan to show that he understands or appreciates his role.
Assembly Member for City
& East London