FULL TIME Dire Orient crash at MK Dons

MK Dons 1 Leyton Orient 0 A goal from Mark Carrington after 30 minutes was enough to sink an awful Orient side on Saturday, writes Trevor Davies. O s lacked passion, pace and power, and it was only in the closing stages that they found any semblance of f


MK Dons 1 Leyton Orient 0


A goal from Mark Carrington after 30 minutes was enough to sink an awful Orient side on Saturday.

You may also want to watch:

O's lacked passion, pace and power, and it was only in the closing stages that they found any semblance of form.

But, by then, it was too little too late and a disappointed Orient boss Geraint Williams admitted afterwards: "That's as poor a game of football I have seen this season in this league and we have played our part in it.

Most Read

"We played for about 15 minutes in the second half when we put them under pressure and I'm very disappointed with that performance."

Williams made just one change to the side that had drawn with Swindon Town, with Sean Thornton returning in midfield in place of Adam Chambers.

It was a scrappy start, with MK Dons enjoying most of the possession without creating too many clear cut chances.

James Tunnicliffe, with his long throws, caused a few problems and MK Dons almost took the lead when Orient failed to clear and it gave Luke Chadwick a chance, but his first touch let him down.

Then, MK Dons skipper Dean Lewington headed the ball on to the roof of the net following a corner.

Orient's best chance arrived on 29 minutes when Ryan Jarvis unsettled the home defence and the ball fell kindly for Aaron Doran, but he scuffed his shot wide.

A minute later Doran was involved at the other end, as he failed to clear on the edge of his own box and when the ball when floated into the area Mark Carrington nipped in between skipper Stephen Purches and goalkeeper Jamie Jones to head home.

O's became a little more adventurous after the setback, but their first half performance lacked any real threat, it what was an instantly forgettable first 45 minutes.

MK Dons almost added a second after 51 minutes when referee Danny McDermid allowed the home side to take a quick free-kick and Chadwick raced clean through, but was denied by an excellent save by Jamie Jones.

O's were furious with the referee and surrounded McDermid, who waved their protests away.

Williams made a double substitution on 63 minutes when James Scowcroft and Jonathan Tehoue were thrown into the fray in place of Doran and McGleish in a bid to get the visitors back in the game.

But it was the home side who almost extended their lead when Lewington headed just over 18 minutes from time.

Orient had posed little attacking threat, but they almost levelled on 78 minutes when, after a spell of pressure, Scowcroft fired in a volley that keeper Willy Gueret saved superbly - which was their first genuine effort on target.

In the closing stages the O's at last came to life and threatened an equaliser, but MK Dons held on to take the points from a dreadful game

MK Dons: Gueret, Lewington, McCracken, Easter (Stirling 90 mins), Wilbraham, Carrington, Woodards, Tunnicliffe (O'Hanlon 86 mins), Leven, Chadwick (Morgan 84 mins), Randall. Subs not used: Doumbe, Searle, Davis, Howell.

Bookings: Wilbraham (8 mins), Lewington (44 mins), Randall (45 mins), Stirling (90 mins)

Leyton Orient: Jones 6, Cave-Brown 6, Chorley 6, Makandawire 7, Purches 5, Doran 5 (Tehoue 63 mins), Smith 5, Thornton 5 (Chambers 78 mins), Demetriou 5, Jarvis 6, McGleish 6 (Scowcroft 63 mins). Subs not used: Morris, Daniels, Baker, Mike.

Bookings: Smith (60 mins), Tehoue (90 mins).

Referee: Danny McDermid (Hampshire).

Attendance: 14, 323.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter