Gardner: We can get even better
PERFECTIONIST Justin Gardner wants his Bethnal Green United side to be more ruthless in front of goal despite seeing them hammer Barking last Saturday, writes MATT DINER. Greens hit four in their Gordon Brasted Trophy match at Mile End Stadium and altho
PERFECTIONIST Justin Gardner wants his Bethnal Green United side to be more 'ruthless in front of goal' despite seeing them hammer Barking last Saturday, writes MATT DINER.
Greens hit four in their Gordon Brasted Trophy match at Mile End Stadium and although the manager was understandably pleased with the showing, he admitted improvements could be made.
"I was very impressed with that performance and we played our best football of the season on Saturday, but the only bad point is that we need to be more ruthless in front of goal," he said.
"We are in great form and have scored 10 goals in our last three games, so maybe I am just being greedy."
After a blistering start, Green opened the scoring after 35 minutes through Leon Ryan, who after playing a neat one-two with Marlon Campbell finished with aplomb.
Substitue Anton Stephenson headed home a Marlon Boateng cross after 60 minutes to double his side's lead and it was three, swiftly afterwards, as Boateng scored.
- 1 ‘He put his life into family’: Tributes paid to former builder who died of Covid
- 2 Barking was Britain's ninth most used station in 2020/21, figures show
- 3 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 4 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 5 When are Royal Mail's last posting dates for Christmas 2021?
- 6 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 7 'I am really humbled': New Bishop of Barking appointed
- 8 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 9 ‘For the love of animals’: Group which reunites lost pets with their owners fundraises for specialist equipment
- 10 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
The Greens made it 4-0 late on when Campbell swivelled to fire into the net, but Barking pulled one back when Ricky Mackin headed home.