Forget Bob the Builder! Meet Ella the architect inspiring Barking children to get building
- Credit: Archant
Bob the Builder may have topped the charts once, but now it’s time for Ella the architect to inspire a generation to get into the trade.
Key Stage 2 pupils from Gascoigne Primary School in Barking will receive a free copy of book What Do … Construction Workers Do? by Emma Juhasz, which aims to increase diversity in the sector.
Kelly McKinnon, family liaison practitioner at Gascoigne, said: “The book will hopefully inspire this generation of children to not only take an interest in the construction work which is taking place on the estate now, but also highlight future career opportunities open to them as adults.”
The book shows youngsters how construction workers build and includes characters such as architect, Ella, and Yasmin, a quantity surveyor.
Developer Wates Residential, which is behind a £55 million development in the borough, is handing out 292 copies to children in Barking.
You may also want to watch:
Kate Ives, the company’s development director, said: “We are passionate about inspiring children from all backgrounds and showing that the sector is open to all.”
- 1 Five men from Barking charged after gun raids
- 2 Calls to remove Dagenham 5G mast after blaze
- 3 New freeport in Dagenham gets the green light from the chancellor
- 4 Dagenham man sentenced to life for raping teenage girl in his wife's car
- 5 Stabbing in Barking leaves man fighting for his life
- 6 Police raid Barking addresses in operation to stop revenge gang attacks
- 7 Council tax is rising by five per cent in Barking and Dagenham
- 8 'Appallingly dirty' Dagenham shop doubling up as 'substandard' hotel
- 9 'Half of 5G phone mast' in Dagenham left damaged by late night fire
- 10 Future is bright for borough's youth