'Get a smoke alarm' warning after flat fires
John Phillips TWO women received emergency medical treatment after breathing smoke from separate flat fires at the weekend. A resident suffered a suspected asthma attack after an arson attack near her home at an empty first-floor flat in Margaret Bondfield Avenue, Bark
TWO women received emergency medical treatment after breathing smoke from separate flat fires at the weekend.
A resident suffered a suspected asthma attack after an arson attack near her home at an empty first-floor flat in Margaret Bondfield Avenue, Barking, at 9.35pm on Sunday.
Another woman was rushed to hospital after escaping a ground-floor flat blaze in Turnage Road, Dagenham, at 10pm on Saturday. The fires are under investigation.
You may also want to watch:
Dagenham firefighter Steve McDermott, 32, this week urged people to improve home safety with smoke detectors as he gears up for a fancy dress race at Romford dog track to raise at least �1,500 for young burn victims on Saturday, May 2.
Firefighters will don old uniforms dating back to the eighties and a number of charity mascot suits used by the fire brigade, including Blaze Bear, as they run on the track between dog races at 10pm.
- 1 Woman brightens up Barking and Dagenham with colourful crochet creations
- 2 Staff to strike at primary school in Dagenham
- 3 Appeal for help as girl, 17, reported missing from Dagenham
- 4 Three men found stabbed after alleged brawl in Dagenham
- 5 Bobby Moore's daughter visits Upney buildings to be named after footballers
- 6 'Strong, united community' hailed as plans for hotel in Barking withdrawn
- 7 TfL admits wrongly charging supercar driver almost £1k in emission fees
- 8 Walk-in Covid-19 jab events for all adults to be held in Barking
- 9 Woman organises do after Covid-19 restrictions force school in Dagenham to cancel prom
- 10 Exhibition launches to celebrate 100 years of Becontree Estate
Mr McDermott said: "Get a smoke alarm. The reason for doing this charity race is to raise some money for the Burned Children's Club, which helps support children who have been burned in fires or require skin grafts and to raise fire safety awareness."
Barking Fire Station blue watch manager Andy Phillips urged residents to attend home safety surgeries held at the station in Alfred's Way on Saturdays.
Medics treated the Barking resident in Margaret Bondfield Avenue and the condition of the Dagenham resident, who was taken to an unnamed hospital, is not known.
The five-bedroom flat in Barking was empty at the time of the fire.
A Barking and Dagenham Police spokesman said: "We are treating this fire as suspicious and have launched an arson investigation."
Both fires were put out at around 10.30pm.
Free home safety checks can be booked on 08000 28 44 28.