Get Active: Barking Cllr conquers 100k in one year
- Credit: Archant
Despite not being able to run one mile without wheezing last year, a councillor on Sunday put 100k between himself and inactivity.
In October 2014, Cllr Syed Enam Ahammed, 37, ran the first of eight races in his bid to run 100k in one year.
On Sunday he returned to that race, the Royal Parks Half Marathon, completing it in two hours and 35 minutes and raising £130 for Scope.
Syed, who lives in Gurney Close, Barking, said he hopes to encourage others to lead healthier lifestyles.
“I’m not a sporty person but I wanted to do something I’ve never done before,” he said. “When I started running I had to change my lifestyle.
You may also want to watch:
“I started eating healthier food, going to the gym at least twice a week and going to the free park runs in Barking Park.”
Since then, Syed has raised cash for seven different charities including British Heart Foundation and Age UK despite juggling his fitness push with council duties, a postgraduate law qualification at London Metropolitan University and a retail job at West Cornwall Pasty Company.
- 1 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 2 Dagenham mum vows more acts of crochet kindness despite missing postbox toppers
- 3 New developments approved in Barking and Dagenham so far this year
- 4 Barking father's car stolen from driveway
- 5 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 6 Watchdog upholds 90pc of complaints against council, figures show
- 7 Barking and Dagenham and Redbridge 'least active' boroughs in London, study finds
- 8 Dagenham pastry chef wins patisserie award
- 9 Dagenham man sentenced after flying kick at cop during Black Lives Matter demo
- 10 Letter: Climate change and the floods
“I’d like people to do more activity to improve their health,” he said. “It doesn’t need to cost anything – just take some extra time our of your daily life.
“I always find the time to do my jogging or go to the gym by making a daily routine.”
You can add to Syed’s total raised for Scope on Sunday by donating at http://bit.ly/1VNnaZW