Get drinkers off the street
POLICE and youth workers have teamed up to tackle the problem of teenagers drinking in streets and parks. Operation Alcopop started at the beginning of August and will run until school restarts in September. The aim for police is to target areas where you
POLICE and youth workers have teamed up to tackle the problem of teenagers drinking in streets and parks.
Operation Alcopop started at the beginning of August and will run until school restarts in September.
The aim for police is to target areas where young people are hanging around drinking and then take their alcohol from them.
Youth workers from Subwize, a council-run organisation, then come and speak to the teenagers about the dangers of binge drinking and advise them about activities in the neighbourhood.
Sergeant Chris Hobro, leading the operation, says that often youngsters go to parks or waste ground to drink and become so intoxicated that they have to taken home by police.
"We want our young people to be safe. The last thing we want is to see a youngster hospitalised because they are so drunk they don't know what they're doing. Drunken teenagers are extremely vulnerable, especially if they walk home alone."
- 1 Barking and Dagenham A Level results 2022: Live updates for borough's schools
- 2 Murder charge after man, 60, found fatally injured in Dagenham
- 3 Local 18-year-old filmmaker gears up for ‘ambitious’ first feature-length film
- 4 London Assembly: TfL urged to rethink plans to cut 78 bus routes
- 5 'Do not eat' - Lidl recalls product over bacteria fears
- 6 Bleed kit in memory of doorman Ricky Hayden installed outside nightclub
- 7 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 8 Gun shots fired in Dagenham
- 9 Summer of Festivals Weekender draws thousands to Parsloes Park
- 10 Item thrown from A13 bridge smashes windscreen and injures driver
He added: "This is a response to concerns raised by the community.
"Drinking often leads to anti-social behaviour and can be intimidating for residents."
During Operation Alcopop in Barking Town Centre on Thursday August 6 officers took alcohol away from 10 people, arrested one man for being drunk and disorderly and fined another drinker.
They also stopped 19 people and asked them to account for themselves.