Search

Gifted student planned shock

PUBLISHED: 18:00 29 May 2008 | UPDATED: 10:44 11 August 2010

A GIFTED but troubled student with immigration problems electrocuted himself after drinking heavily in his room. Oladapo Odeyinde, 28, of Davington Road, Dagenham, was found dead by his landlord on January 19 this year, an inquest heard. He had come to En

A GIFTED but troubled student with immigration problems electrocuted himself after drinking heavily in his room.

Oladapo Odeyinde, 28, of Davington Road, Dagenham, was found dead by his landlord on January 19 this year, an inquest heard.

He had come to England from Nigeria to complete his studies in Electrical Engineering.

The successful student, who was described as gifted and intelligent by his brother-in-law Olawale Opayinka, had temporarily lost his faith after the death of his father.

As one of four children, Oladapo had looked after his father until he died of bladder cancer in 1998.

Mr Opayinka said: "He was very close to his dad. He did look after him a very great deal. He was quite determined that his father should live."

He also said he found his diary on the bed after Olapado's death, with an entry on August 13 2007 saying 'good bye'.

Landlord Osaro Aiyamenkhue, who described Oladapo as a hard worker, said in a written statement that the student's visa was due to run out in January but due to his good grades, he was going to apply for a Masters degree.

He tried to contact Oladapo but when he neither answered the phone nor his door, Mr Aiyamenkhue climbed through the window and found his body.

Ambulance arrived at 15.44 and found that Oladapo had stopped breathing and had no pulse.

There were copper wires wrapped around his wrist and leg, which were attached to a socket in the wall and to a timer.

Further tests showed that his blood contained 107 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres in blood. The legal driving limit is 80mg.

Pathologist Dr Geraldine Soosay, of Queen's Hospital, said: "This is not a level of alcohol that would cause death but would cause drunkenness."

The cause of his death was given as having been caused by electric shock. Coroner Dr Elizabeth Stearns decided on an open verdict.

She said: "The impression I get is that he was a kind young man who deeply cared, he was isolated. He did not want anyone to worry about him.

"Whatever happened there it was of the deceased's own free will. But he was well over the level of the driving limit and his judgement may well have been affected.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Barking and Dagenham Post. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Barking and Dagenham Post